cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant "no number calls" since moving to IP Telephone from landline (Home) (Resolved)

Chris_Myers
Superfast

My area has recently been migrated from landline to IP telephony which seems to work well with one exception.  My received calls report 10-20 daily calls from "no number".  There is no call made (no ringing) and no message left, just a report that "no number" called and a time.  OFCOM state it should be addressed to the provider and the Telephone preference service state they can do nothing with marketing or computer generated calls.  This did not happen until switched to IP telephony and has been daily since (coincidentally - I think not).  This appears to be a man-in-the-middle network attack and is therefore worrying (as well as filling my recent calls with rubbish).  Virgin media say they cannot see these calls, yet their system records it on my recent calls log. Anyone else having this problem or have a resolution?

[MOD EDIT: Please see post for an update ]

1,006 REPLIES 1,006

Hi @Woodbutcher1234,

Thank you for your post and we're sorry to hear that this has been your experience. Have you been in touch with our team about this issue before to discuss this further? 

Have you been able to raise a complaint with our team about this ongoing issue? If so, then I can assure you that our team is working hard to have this rectified for you as soon as possible and will reach out to discuss this further.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

An interesting reply. It seems to suggest a lack of knowledge about this thread. There are a lot of us trying to have this issue resolved. Do we all need to make a complaint to get anything done?

John

@Paulina_Z wrote:

Hi @Woodbutcher1234,

Thank you for your post and we're sorry to hear that this has been your experience. Have you been in touch with our team about this issue before to discuss this further? 

Have you been able to raise a complaint with our team about this ongoing issue? If so, then I can assure you that our team is working hard to have this rectified for you as soon as possible and will reach out to discuss this further.

Thank you.

Really?!

The response I had from your complaints team was to suggest that you can’t be compatible with every phone on the market and that I had to like it or lump it. 

My complaint is now marked for alternative dispute resolution, but I can’t actually follow through on that complaint as you’ve messed up my DSAR. 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @lenworth,

Have you been in touch with our team to discuss this issue further? If so, what was advised? As previously advised, not all landline phones will be compatible with our services. 

Have you been able to raise a separate post so that we can look into your issue separately?

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Again not very helpful. We have been assured several times that your tech team is investigating this and that a solution will be found. You can't pick and choose which phones you will support. We were all moved to VOIP without any information about which phones would work with the service - there was no suggestion that some phone models would not work. Please look back at earlier posts to see what has been happening.

John

As I understand it the problem is with the hub not the phone connected to it . This has been known since June Virgin are not capable of sorting it out and need to go back to the hub manufacturer to initiate a update. I have to delete about 10 no number calls each day. 

The VOIP no number calls sounds very much like Direct IP (SPIT) calls.

Spam over Internet Telephony (SPIT) is a process of placing a VOIP call to a public IP and using the default SIP port 5060 in the hope of it being routed to a functioning telephone.

@Client62 wrote:

The VOIP no number calls sounds very much like Direct IP (SPIT) calls.

Spam over Internet Telephony (SPIT) is a process of placing a VOIP call to a public IP and using the default SIP port 5060 in the hope of it being routed to a functioning telephone.

It isn’t that. The calls that log on the handset don’t show up on 1471 for example. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

"As previously advised, not all landline phones will be compatible with our services." 

That's odd. As of this afternoon the VM website advises

"Will I have to change my home phone?

No, you can keep using the same phone you’ve always used. The new fibre phone line is designed to work with the same phones as the old copper line." 

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/fibre-phone-faqs

One would not expect 1471 to have any clue about Direct IP calls.