cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatible make model of phones

Thegovernoruk
Tuning in

hi folks, 

I have Hub 5 with supplied adaptor. Can anyone tell me what make and model number of cordless phones they have working with it? I’ve tried two models of BT advanced phones and neither work. Virgin advise the line has been checked and working fine so think it may be incompatible phones. If yours are working with a Hub 5 can you tell me what your phones are please? Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Personally, I would suggest that you try and borrow a very simple corded phone from someone before splashing the cash on a new phone setup of any quality. There have been loads of topics on here when VM has advised new phones to solve a problem only to find out later on the original phones were fine and there was some other kind of fault.

There have been a variety of issues reported with Hub 5 telephony, also the move to 21CV for some customers has caused issues and there have been problems with BT phones generally. Your number port also may not have completed correctly if a call does not connect when you answer.

So you have a multiple set of possible issues (of which replacing the phones is only one of them). You need to go through some logical steps to pin down if you have a phone handset problem or a line problem.

I don't have a landline phone any more but, when I did, I always had a super-simple corded phone handy for the purposes of diagnosing and testing faults and problems.

I used the cheapest corded phone on Argos which is £10 for a simple corded gondola handset. Even if you later go on to buy a proper replacement system, this sort of device is always handy to have about for basic testing of the line IMHO

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3924358

Even better would be something similar with a caller ID display to check caller ID is working too (for a similar price if you can find such a thing).

If you can borrow something simple like the above then use a borrowed phone to test the line. It needs to be a 'modern' device (no more than 10 years old). If a super simple phone does not connect a call then you have a line problem. If a super simple phone works OK then your BT phone may be the issue, either with compatibility or some kind of setup issue with the BT phone.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Theogovernoruk, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear this.

Have you tried to do a Google Search on this, places like Argos, Amazon, eBay and more sell a lot of phones which do work with 21CV. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

There is no reason that model of phone should not work with a VM hub.

In what way is the phone setup not working?

In a previous topic you mentioned not having the phone cable for the base station.

How are you linking the base station to the VM hub?

Have you tested your Advanced Phone on a different line to check it is still working OK? You mentioned the system had been out of use for two years previously.

If you use the 'paging' function (press 'Find' on the base to start/stop the paging process) do all the handsets ring (which will prove they are linked OK to the base)?

Thank you for posting some advice goslow, 

Hopefully this will give you an idea 🙂 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hi goslow, yes all two phones ring and cradle blinks to advise incoming call. I think I might need to try phones elsewhere as I got a new cable from cradle to hub just in case direct from BT just in case my phones are goosed. When with BT They supplied two free phones which was wi fi connection. Ie just plugged into mains not to hub. I have the adaptor supplied in slot 1 and the new cable goes direct into that but neighbours phone which is BT advanced as well didn’t work with my hub either. I was just hoping to have anyone on here tell me to buy eg Panasonic or Giga set blah blah cause they work with their hub 5. On saying that, I only get weekend calls and in fairness was the reason of getting rid of BT as we rarely use a landline now so not needing all singing and dancing phones as long as they work with this hub. Ideally a proven model of one someone is currently using. 

Did you have a look on Google, I did a quick search and there is a few phones that pop up? 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

When a call comes in to your VM landline, does the phone show a call is coming in (such as the incoming number showing on caller display) or give any other indication of an incoming call?

That phone has multiple call blocking features and there have been lots of reports on here of VM mangling all sorts of caller ID features on new lines via the VM hub. This has been a particular problem for BT phones where some show all calls as 'withheld'.

Can you turn off all call blocking features on the phone and see if a call comes in OK and what is shown on the caller ID display? Check there are no block settings in place on the phone for both incoming and outgoing calls.

When you moved to VM did you port an existing phone number over to VM?

yes confirmed my own number was ported when switching. I’m on holiday this now so will check when back home but know I added my mobile number onto phone and when I use that to phone landline, the handset tells me it’s my mobile calling in. When I press  handset to acknowledge call coming in line is dead. I also reset phones to factory settings with no blocked numbers entered into them. 
if Googling compatible phones, what am I entering into the search bar? CV21? Compatible Virgin Hub phones?

Hi @Thegovernoruk thanks for your reply here.

We would advise if this hasn't been trialled too, trying the different TEL port in your Hub 5, as it is known that changing to an alternative port can work too if there is a fault with us.

In all honesty, most landlines should be compatible with 21CV as long as it has the necessary port in the handset device.

Please do try the alternative port when you are back from holiday and keep us posted but until then, enjoy your holiday!
Many thanks

Tom_W

Personally, I would suggest that you try and borrow a very simple corded phone from someone before splashing the cash on a new phone setup of any quality. There have been loads of topics on here when VM has advised new phones to solve a problem only to find out later on the original phones were fine and there was some other kind of fault.

There have been a variety of issues reported with Hub 5 telephony, also the move to 21CV for some customers has caused issues and there have been problems with BT phones generally. Your number port also may not have completed correctly if a call does not connect when you answer.

So you have a multiple set of possible issues (of which replacing the phones is only one of them). You need to go through some logical steps to pin down if you have a phone handset problem or a line problem.

I don't have a landline phone any more but, when I did, I always had a super-simple corded phone handy for the purposes of diagnosing and testing faults and problems.

I used the cheapest corded phone on Argos which is £10 for a simple corded gondola handset. Even if you later go on to buy a proper replacement system, this sort of device is always handy to have about for basic testing of the line IMHO

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3924358

Even better would be something similar with a caller ID display to check caller ID is working too (for a similar price if you can find such a thing).

If you can borrow something simple like the above then use a borrowed phone to test the line. It needs to be a 'modern' device (no more than 10 years old). If a super simple phone does not connect a call then you have a line problem. If a super simple phone works OK then your BT phone may be the issue, either with compatibility or some kind of setup issue with the BT phone.