cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ps4 slow connection

liamharmer
Joining in

Hi I have the m500 broadband, my ps4 is connected via Wi-Fi like my phones and tablets but is only receiving around 30mbps download and 5-10 upload, my phones and tablets are all in the hundreds, anything I can do?

10 REPLIES 10

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sounds like it’s connecting to the 2.4Ghz band.  Try to connect the 5Ghz band, or connect by cable. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your help, can a standard ps4 connect to 5ghz as I thought it was just the slim/pro that could? Thanks 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No idea as I don’t own one.  If it’s doesn’t, then test with a Cat 6 cable. In either case 2.4Ghz band will be slower.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi liamharmer, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. 

I am sorry to hear that you are getting a slow connection, is this still the case? 

Did connecting to the 5GHZ band change things for you? 

Kind regards, Chris. 

Hi Chris, it is still slow, I’m unable to connect to 5ghz band as the ps4 is an original and I believe only the slim and pro ps4 have the option to change to 5ghz, connecting vis cable is not practical either due to positions of the respective devices 

@liamharmer wrote:

Hi Chris, it is still slow, I’m unable to connect to 5ghz band as the ps4 is an original and I believe only the slim and pro ps4 have the option to change to 5ghz, connecting vis cable is not practical either due to positions of the respective devices 

Not much you can do then as you are limited by your device.

I don’t see how though as I use to have double the download speed on the ps4 with an old provider where the broadband was only 50-60mbps

now I’m on 500mbps I only get 20-30 and it’s closer to the ps4 then the old provider router 

@liamharmer wrote:

I don’t see how though as I use to have double the download speed on the ps4 with an old provider where the broadband was only 50-60mbps

now I’m on 500mbps I only get 20-30 and it’s closer to the ps4 then the old provider router 

There are many WiFi standards, and each router (HUB) can use different ones depending on their specification:

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

One thing you could check/change, although sometimes not recommended, is the channel width on the 2.4Ghz band in your HUB settings.

I believe you can set it to 20/40, rather than 20.

https://www.cbtnuggets.com/blog/certifications/cisco/when-to-use-20mhz-vs-40mhz-vs-80mhz

Whilst you are in the HUB settings check the 'Connected Devices' section to see what speed your PS4 is connected to the HUB.

Hi @liamharmer,

I am sorry to hear you're continuing to get slower than expected speeds via your PS4. Are any other devices also experiencing this issue, or just the PS4?

Along with this, is it possible to test the PS4 on a wired connection to see if it's any better for you?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!