cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear CM1200 for gaming and Virgin media hub 5

Emanuele
Joining in

Hello everyone, 

I am a keen player of call of duty and chatting with other friends they raised the point that certain brands (like netgears and others) can improve your ping and latency, latching only on nearby servers and generally being more functional, customizable and faster than standard hubs.

I did my research on Netgear appliances and my attention went on NETGEAR Nighthawk Cable Modem CM1200.

But before buying something like this, has anyone any expert opinion on the above. Is it worth purchasing an extra modem or it wouldn't improve particularly the game experience? Thanks to whoever will share is experience and expertise!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Emanuele wrote:

That would be weird, why I couldn't? As long as it is compatible there shouldn't be any issue, but thanks. Any other option/experience from anyone else? Thanks

The HUBs are registered on VM's network using their MAC address. VM wouldn't allow third party devices on their network. There is no way around this as the HUB is added to your account, so regardless of other users 'option/experience' it's not possible to use your own modem.

You can, however, put the HUB into modem mode and use your own router/mesh system.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

carl_pearce
Community elder

You cannot use your own modem.

That would be weird, why I couldn't? As long as it is compatible there shouldn't be any issue, but thanks. Any other option/experience from anyone else? Thanks

@Emanuele wrote:

The HUBs are registered on VM's network using their MAC address. VM wouldn't allow third party devices on their network. There is no way around this as the HUB is added to your account, so regardless of other users 'option/experience' it's not possible to use your own modem.

You can, however, put the HUB into modem mode and use your own router/mesh system.

Thanks Carl that's a more useful answer.

In this case let me rephrase the question.

Considering that I could set my hub as modem only, would an appliance like the Netgear nighthawks pro gaming router  Https://www.netgear.com/uk/home/online-gaming/ improve my game experience or is not worth the cost?

Would this router  improve significantly my ping and latency, latching only on nearby servers and generally being more functional, customizable and faster than my hub which is the latest version of VM hub?

Has anyone got direct experience with this?

Thanks in advance 

carl_pearce
Community elder

I used a third party router, Asus RT-AX86U, as the routing capabilites and handling a large number of devices are much better than the HUB, as well as AiMesh functionality (I also have a TUF GAMING AX6000 upstairs as a node connected via a 2.5Gbps ethernet backhaul), which gives great wireless coverage across my home.

Unfortunately, the majority of the latency will be over VM's DOCSIS network.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

hub wifi is a problem so 3rd party router would help

Your ping will not change by like wire but we only know that for ICMP is can be that router mode causes problem for UDP/TCP modem mode has no need to change the sending/receiving of a packets meaning a simple operation.    

---------------------------------------------------------------

I understand, so you would not opt for purchasing a router like this one. What caught my attention was the fact that with appliances like this one from netgear you can select and prioritize which servers the router would latch on to, which technically should help with speed and latency during game. However on a second thought this would work only if I would then play on WiFi, but I mostly play cabled hence why I thought/hoped I could use a better 3rd party modem. Thanks for your expertise 👍

As I play cabled, if I was to switch from playing cabled to playing WiFi,  do you think a 3rd party router with certain characteristics like the one above  would perform better than being cabled to a hub 5? Thanks 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

yes

---------------------------------------------------------------