cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

locked out of ntlworld email

ChrisB163
Joining in

Hi, my ntlworld email stopped working in outlook so I started using the Virgin web view but now that has locked me out saying there is a security issue. I have tried following the guidance on resolving the issue but the instructions do not match the Virgin screens and I have had no success in resolving the issue.

Please can someone help.

ChrisB.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ChrisB163 wrote:

I have tried following the guidance on resolving the issue but the instructions do not match the Virgin screens and I have had no success in resolving the issue.

If you were trying to reset the password, here is the way to do that.

Sorry that ll seems complicated but that's how VM email is these days. The good thing is that once you have successfully followed those steps your VM email account should be more secure.

These instructions do assume that you are still a VM broadband customer. If you are no longer have a VM broadband  accoun then there may well be other issues why you cannot access your email account.

• Sign into the My Virgin Media Account for that email address by entering the ntlworld address and then the current password here https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media 

• Then go to Account Settings then Account details, scroll down to  Sign In details 

• Scroll down to and click on "edit" to the right of password.

• VM have recently changed the security on their email accounts so that you now have to specify a non VM email account to become the username for signing into your VM webmail account. Follow the instructions, verify the email account and you can then reset the password for the webmail account and the associated My Virgin Media account. To access either of those you will need to use the non VM email address as the username and the new password you have just reset.

• A second change that VM have made is that you need to use a separate Mail app password in email apps such as Microsoft Outlook.

• Go back to the Account settings  and scroll click down to the Virgin Media Mail section and click on Manage your Virgin Media Mail app password .

• Then scroll down to the bottom of that page and click on  Generate new App password and follow the instructions.

• A new secure password will be generated for you. This Mail app password needs to be used for all apps accessing your ntlworld mail account. Therefore you’ll need to update the settings in Thunderbird with the new Mail App password.

• Remember that the Mail app password is separate from your sign in details for My Virgin Media and VM Webmail. So, if you need to check your ntlworld emails through the VM website you’ll still use your My Virgin Media password.

Coenoby.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ChrisB163 wrote:

I have tried following the guidance on resolving the issue but the instructions do not match the Virgin screens and I have had no success in resolving the issue.

If you were trying to reset the password, here is the way to do that.

Sorry that ll seems complicated but that's how VM email is these days. The good thing is that once you have successfully followed those steps your VM email account should be more secure.

These instructions do assume that you are still a VM broadband customer. If you are no longer have a VM broadband  accoun then there may well be other issues why you cannot access your email account.

• Sign into the My Virgin Media Account for that email address by entering the ntlworld address and then the current password here https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media 

• Then go to Account Settings then Account details, scroll down to  Sign In details 

• Scroll down to and click on "edit" to the right of password.

• VM have recently changed the security on their email accounts so that you now have to specify a non VM email account to become the username for signing into your VM webmail account. Follow the instructions, verify the email account and you can then reset the password for the webmail account and the associated My Virgin Media account. To access either of those you will need to use the non VM email address as the username and the new password you have just reset.

• A second change that VM have made is that you need to use a separate Mail app password in email apps such as Microsoft Outlook.

• Go back to the Account settings  and scroll click down to the Virgin Media Mail section and click on Manage your Virgin Media Mail app password .

• Then scroll down to the bottom of that page and click on  Generate new App password and follow the instructions.

• A new secure password will be generated for you. This Mail app password needs to be used for all apps accessing your ntlworld mail account. Therefore you’ll need to update the settings in Thunderbird with the new Mail App password.

• Remember that the Mail app password is separate from your sign in details for My Virgin Media and VM Webmail. So, if you need to check your ntlworld emails through the VM website you’ll still use your My Virgin Media password.

Coenoby.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Brilliant, it worked this time, I had already done most of those steps but for some reason it didn't work but thankfully I'm now back on line both with WebView and outlook.

Thanks for your help.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ChrisB163 

It's good no know that it's sorted now. Thanks for the update.

Coenoby

Sorry, I spoke too soon, my email is now ok but my wife's email is now locked out and there doesn't seem a way to sort out her password so she cannot connect to the imap server from outlook on her PC.

I can still access her emails via my WebView.

How do I access her email details - she is a secondary account on my account.

ChrisB.

Glad to hear your email is okay but your wife isn't ChrisB163.

What happens when she goes down the forgot password route does it let her do anything?

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ChrisB163 wrote:

How do I access her email details - she is a secondary account on my account.

Just to add that each VM secondary email  account now has its own My Virgin Media (MVM) account. So you can use exactly the same route to reset her email address  as I outlined in my earlier post.

The only difference is that when you sign into her MVM account from the https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media  link  you need to enter her VM email address as the Username and then enter her current password when prompted.

You can then follow the steps in my earlier post to reset her password.

Try that and see how it goes.

Coenoby

ChrisB163
Joining in

Thanks, I have just tried your advice but it when logging on to MVM it says it doesn't recognise the email address used!

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ChrisB163 wrote: when logging on to MVM it says it doesn't recognise the email address used!

Firstly, what error do you get if your wife tries to access her email account directly via the VM website rather than via Outlook? Try that from here, https://mail2.virginmedia.com/ 

Secondly, check whether your wife's address is still linked to your VM broadband:

• sign into your own MVM account (assuming that is the primary address for your  VM broadband account. Remember to use your non VM email address (if you have supplied one) as the Username not your VM email address.
  • then got to Account Settings and then Account details
  • then scroll down and click on "Manage other Virgin Media accounts"

Is your wife's VM email address listed there?

If it's not then it means that you need to get VM staff (such as Matthew_ML) involved.

Coenoby

ChrisB163
Joining in

I can access her email via my mail logon, but only to read and send, and in account settings both email accounts are listed but only with a delete option or create a new account.

I persisted trying to access her VM Email account on her PC via MVM and eventually it recognised the email and requested the password, after a number of failed attempts (presumably we are entering old passwords - its a long time since we had to do this!) I used the forgotten password link and after a number of attempts at this it finally told me that I couldn't do it on line and that I would have to phone VM.

I did, and after much dialogue and pauses and key clicking at the other end was told that he couldn't do it and that he was passing it to the technical team as a secondary email account had to be set up and this would take up to 5 days.....

If "Matthew_ML" can do anything more quickly I would very much appreciate it.

Regards, ChrisB.