cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offensive email

Br0adband101
Joining in

I have received a very offensive and threatening message which "appears" to have come from my email account but has not.  Has anyone else experienced this?

3 REPLIES 3

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This form of threatening communication is a common tactic used by miscreants to extort victims. To improve the likelihood of success the miscreant will deploy a  psychological ruse by including information that they have obtained elsewhere to imply truth and/or risk from other things mentioned in the communication. For example, the miscreant may quote an old or current password that the victims uses or used to use.

For further advice see Report a phishing attempt | Action Fraud

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

Tony_
Dialled in

Hi

I had one a week or so ago... I couldn't add the sender to my blocklist as they had somehow used an alias or some bounce around so that the sender appeared to come from me... sounds like similar to your one.

Think it gave me 48 hours or something to respond with a thousand million bitcoins or whatever the scum use.

I just deleted it.

Tony_

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ditto both of the above responses, I've lost count of the number of these I've received in recent weeks especially.

Delete immediately and move on.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks