cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error message: "Your Virgin Media Mail account is currently unavailable"

oxygen77
Tuning in

I'm getting the above message when I try to log into my email as well as a ''3 steps to follow to unlock your account'' message. I have tried but unfortunately it did not work. I then rang the helpline and they tried to reset my password from their end but it did not work either. They then told me Tech Support would ring me but this could take up to 5 days! I really need my email asap. Can anyone help? 

I have seen other thread from people with similar issue but not sure how this was resolved.

PS - I also tried accessing my email on my mobile but I'm getting the following message: ''There was a problem signing in to your account. Enter your password again... etc''. Unfortunately entering my P/Word doesn't work either.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@oxygen77 Your Virginmedia email address has not been migrated to Gmail by VM at all. They have no power to do that. What has happened is that you have changed the login username for the account to a Gmail address. To access the underlying virgin media email account via VM webmail you need to log in with the Gmail address as the username and your VM account password.

All your emails and folders should still be there.

You can read more about this security change here: https://www.virginmedia.com/dpb/help/change-my-virgin-media-email-address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

revbarfly1
On our wavelength

If you have a virgin account and already have an email associated with that account then you have lost access completely. They can add the email to your account but if there is already one in use then that will be deleted.  Its a sh*t show !

Thanks for your info. Not sounding too good! 

As part of the ''3 steps to unlock your account'' they asked me to provide another one of my email accounts that wasn't with Virgin. I gave them my Gmail account details. And now I've just received this email:

Hello,

Thanks for updating your email address on your My Virgin Media account. To confirm the change, all you must do is to verify your email in the link below

'Verify email address'

As soon as the email address is verified, your new My Virgin Media email address will be changed to (my Gmail address).

From now on, you'll need to use your new email address to sign into My Virgin Media

I replied and asked if it meant I would loose all my saved emails, folders, addresses, etc...

Waiting for a reply... maybe you already know the answer?

Thanks again.

O.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@oxygen77 Your Virginmedia email address has not been migrated to Gmail by VM at all. They have no power to do that. What has happened is that you have changed the login username for the account to a Gmail address. To access the underlying virgin media email account via VM webmail you need to log in with the Gmail address as the username and your VM account password.

All your emails and folders should still be there.

You can read more about this security change here: https://www.virginmedia.com/dpb/help/change-my-virgin-media-email-address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ielhariry
Tuning in

that is literally what happened to me 3 days ago. I am still waiting for IT support to call/resolve the issue. I have little faith this will occur.

unfortunate that VM is silent on this and is not providing any workable solution. very annoying

Iman

Hey oxygen77, thank you for reaching out and I am so sorry to hear this.

If an IT ticket has been made this would mean we have done everything we can do to get this fixed without getting them involved I understand its frustrating but the team  will be working on this as fast as they can do for you. 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

-D
On our wavelength

Emails stopped uploading on my computer on September 25th and none have uploaded since.  Nor can I access my emails from the link on the last VM bill (still being withrawn from my bank account) or the online link.  No explanation what Virgin did to cause this to so many of their customers or why. 

Hi -D,

Thanks for taking the time to post in the community. 

We're sorry to hear you've been having an issue with your emails working on your email client. There are some steps you'll need to follow in order to resolve this. 

Please log in to My Virgin Media here > Click on Account settings > Virgin Media Mail settings > scroll down to the App password section and click the Generate new App password button.

You should get a pop up message asking you to verify your email address and you'll need to use a 3rd party email address to continue. You'll be sent a one time passcode to enter on the next page to verify it's you. Once verified you'll then be given an app password which will look something similar to: mail-horse-yellow-panda and you should note this down.

To get things working on an email client or app again, you will need to enter the new mail password in the settings. This will allow your emails to load again. In some cases, you may need to remove the email account from the mail client or app completely and re-set it up as fresh. If this is the case for you, please ensure you use your VM email address as the username and the newly generated app password.

These changes have been put in place as Multi-factor authentication (MFA) is now required. Just as a side note, when logging in to My VM, you will need to use the third party email address as the username and your original My VM password.

Please let me know how you get on and apologies for the inconvenience.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs