cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email App password change

CDH1994
Tuning in

Can some one confirm the fiollowing for me please, I am trying to chsnge the password for one email address on outlook on my PC. When I request "Generate New App Password" it takes me to another screen requesting the following:

First, we need you to change your sign in email address to one that isn't from Virgin Media.

Then, when we send you a verification code in the next step, you'll able to access it from your alternative email address.

This does not seem correct as I ony want a password for my app to pull down the emails in to Outlook.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes it is correct.  Any password changes now require that the username for the email address concerned is changed to a third party email address.  A verification code will then be sent to third party email address.  The change of username does not change the underlying VM email address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

19 REPLIES 19

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes it is correct.  Any password changes now require that the username for the email address concerned is changed to a third party email address.  A verification code will then be sent to third party email address.  The change of username does not change the underlying VM email address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

CDH1994
Tuning in

Thanks for the reply Graham, it does seem strange that I have ti get it verfied via a 3rd party email address when it is an internal VM process.

Surely the instruction should say 'enter third part email address' and not 'change email' which is very off putting. As it stands it appears my husband is about to lose his ntlworld address which is not acceptable.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I agree that it could be worded better.

Nicip1
Joining in

My understanding is that you are changing to a non virgin email address to be able to sign into the email account directly through virging, which quite honestly is pants.  I have 6 emails off my virgin account and have one non virgin email address.  I had to change one password as it had been hacked, and had to use the one non virgin email that I have.  Now to change any of the others I have to have yet another email, which I just can't do.  Basically to have 6 email addresses I have to have 6 non-virgin ones too, which is ridiculous!  

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Sincere apologies for the issues faced Nicip1,

Just to clarify however are you experiencing issues yourself with gaining access on a email?
Let us know,

Kain

yakacm
On our wavelength

God knows what the kids a VM were huffing when they came up with this. I can't access my main email account on my PC, but I can on my phone, and everyone can always get their email from the virgin webmail, like if you log in to your VM account you can get your email there. So if, for whatever reason, I need to reset my password I can always pick the password up online or on my phone. Agreed it could be a useful option to get an email reminder sent to another email address, but to force folk to do that is gaga. Not too sure why I have been happily getting my emails to Outlook on my PC for years, then all of a sudden without me doing anything, Outlook can no longer access the mail server at Virgin, despite me still picking up emails on my phone, and on my other PC which uses the built in mail app that comes with Windows. 

Hi @yakacm thanks for getting back to us.

Is your issue with Outlook across more than one device?  Also is it only Outlook?  Or are other email clients impacted?  Also have you checked the Microsoft website, to see if there's something there that could help you?

Regards

Lee_R

Bryan24
On our wavelength

I'm having the same problem as the other day Outlook stopped sending my messages saying SMTP had dropped out..
I've gone through the change email and generate new password but it then asks me to verify the address and doesn't go any further to give a password..
The alternative address has acknowledged the change and I've clicked the verify button but still no password.
Do I use the password that already exists for the alternative address to set up Outlook again.
Microsoft have confirmed that I need to set up with the alternative address and are waiting for me to go back to them with the Server and Application password.