cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot access virgin.net email

Gcwilliams73
Joining in

So I’ve had a [REMOVED]@virgin.net email address for 30 years.

I could access my email on a laptop and my iPhone 13 without any problem. 
I also have set up so many accounts using this email address.  I most recently received an email 3 days ago.

All of a sudden I can no longer access my email by trying to log directly into my email account.  I then call Virgin who tell me my they stopped providing an email service a few years ago. How can this be when I received email last week.

Does anyone still use a virgin.net email account?

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post.]

11 REPLIES 11

jem101
Superstar

importantly, are you a current VM broadband customer, and if you are, is said email address properly associated with your broadband account?

Oh and yes, VM do still provide a ‘sort of’ email service, what you were told was just a lie to get you off the phone - something you might want to consider if deciding if VM is a company you want to carry on doing business with you!

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You should remove your email address from your post on the public forum.

Nonsense answer from VM phone support that VM has stopped providing email.

Assume it is so but are you still a VM broadband customer?

Hi

I haven’t had virgin broadband for over 20 years. 
I’ve recently done some research and it appears that those accounts were orphaned without and notification to customers being provided 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073

My account may just have been orphaned. However if I email it now - there is no bounce back at all.

So very frustrating

@Gcwilliams73 wrote:

Hi

I haven’t had virgin broadband for over 20 years. 
I’ve recently done some research and it appears that those accounts were orphaned without and notification to customers being provided 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073

My account may just have been orphaned. However if I email it now - there is no bounce back at all.

So very frustrating

Sounds like your email account has entered the process of being deleted.

I think I have read some past topics on here where VM forum staff have been able to arrange some short term temporary access to the account being closed so the user can carry out some emergency rescue activities on the information in the account. Ultimately though the account is destined to be deleted if you are not a VM broadband customer.

Wait for the VM forum team to reply here, usually within a few days and see if they can do anything to assist.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Just to be clear, your email hasn't just been orphaned. It was orphaned when you closed its parent broadband account 20 years ago. The notice of closure was contained in your original contract.

Virginmedia have been wrong in not closing the email account then, but their systems are never very efficient and it has taken them many years to catch up on some accounts. In your case it means they have given you a free email service for 20 years, which can't be bad. 

If emails are not yet bouncing, there is still a chance of a temporary recovery if a staff member can look into it. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Gcwilliams73,

Thanks for your post, and a warm welcome to our Community Forums. 

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems accessing your legacy email account. As mentioned by others on the thread, as there isn't a Virgin Media service associated with the email, it is now identified as orphaned.

I can most certainly look into whether it is possible to temporarily unlock your account, but this is not a guarantee. I'm going to send you a private message to gather some more details - please look out for it in the top-right, purple envelope.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

LMac27
Joining in

I have posted something similar to this today and hoping that since I accessed my email account at the end of last month (March 2023) it will still be accessible for emergency recovery/sorting.  I hope VM managed to help you.

Gcwilliams73
Joining in

Hi All

Just an update to let say that my account was enabled and I spent some joyful moments changing loads of accounts over to my new gmail account.

It makes you realize how dependent we are on email accounts these days.

My virgin account is surprisingly still active to this very day (-:

Cutty
Joining in

Yes I do, lost access and got it back:

Took a bit of time but finally sorted using my virgin.net email. Having had it for over 20 years, I didn’t want to lose it and all the gubbings of modern life that our main email addresses have associated with them!

So, lost it three days ago. Over the last two days, three webchats and two calls to Virgin (0345 454 1111 – just have to be patient and wait for someone – don’t go with the text – you’ll get in the webchat loop). All the webchats (for me) lead to no resolution – one advised me that Talk Talk now have my virgin.net account and I need to speak to them (I did and they didn’t!).

Finally, today the second person I spoke to took me through sorting it (Jerome – he made my day!!). Virgin.net still valid for existing customers. You do need to have access to another email account to get it back up and running and have a new password ready. Email all working again on laptop and phone – just the usual shed load of rubbish to wade through before getting to the important stuff – massive stress relief! Probably a bit late for you but I hope this helps someone.