cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

films in lettebox format and cannot change

Teekay2
On our wavelength

Hi,
We have a V6 box and a Samsung UE43AU8000 TV.
No matter how I change the picture settings we still get many of our films displayed in letterbox format,especially on Netflix.
This is a real problem as my poorly sighted wife finds the small picture very difficult and we have almost given up watching films.
Any help would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Teekay2 

Do you have the same issue when using the netflix app on both the TV and on the V6 box watching the same program/movie?   If so it may be your TV settings.

To set the TV to full screen go to • Settings >  Picture > Picture Size Settings > Picture Size on your TV and make sure it is set to Full Screen.

Also to change the picture format on your V6 

Press Home on the remote > then select Help & Settings > Settings > Video Output 

You can then adjust the following:

Aspect Correction Mode
This lets you adjust the way the TV picture fits into your screen. Select from the following options:

• Full: Set your picture to fill the entire screen. 16:9 (Widescreen) content will display normally, but programs shown in 4:3 may look stretched to fill the full screen. (this is the one you should probably be using)

• Panel: Perfect if you’re watching a film or program shot in widescreen. Programs shown in 16:9 will be displayed normally, but programs shot in 4:3 might be displayed with bars on the left and right of the picture.

• Zoom: Widescreen content will display normally in this mode, but 4:3 content might appear with the top and bottom cut off.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Teekay2 

Do you have the same issue when using the netflix app on both the TV and on the V6 box watching the same program/movie?   If so it may be your TV settings.

To set the TV to full screen go to • Settings >  Picture > Picture Size Settings > Picture Size on your TV and make sure it is set to Full Screen.

Also to change the picture format on your V6 

Press Home on the remote > then select Help & Settings > Settings > Video Output 

You can then adjust the following:

Aspect Correction Mode
This lets you adjust the way the TV picture fits into your screen. Select from the following options:

• Full: Set your picture to fill the entire screen. 16:9 (Widescreen) content will display normally, but programs shown in 4:3 may look stretched to fill the full screen. (this is the one you should probably be using)

• Panel: Perfect if you’re watching a film or program shot in widescreen. Programs shown in 16:9 will be displayed normally, but programs shot in 4:3 might be displayed with bars on the left and right of the picture.

• Zoom: Widescreen content will display normally in this mode, but 4:3 content might appear with the top and bottom cut off.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

If you can afford it and your room is suitable, buy a bigger TV as your 43" Samsung is rather small. I reckon 55" is good for many people, and if you get such a TV the default setting should be fine and obviate the need to zoom the pictures.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Teekay2
On our wavelength

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I have been through these settings many times before and set them as you suggest but they make no difference. It is only films that are displayed in letterbox.

I spoke to Richer Sounds yesterday about getting a different set,not bigger as it will not fit.

They said it is all down to how the films are made and another set would not make any difference.

not possible to fit a bigger TV in and Zoom does not work.

cje85
Trouble shooter

Many films (and even TV dramas) are now filmed wider than the traditional 16:9 widescreen ratio, so are intended to have black bars, otherwise you will lose the sides of the picture.

joebloggs
Superfast

This is the way films are meant to be displayed, on some Samsung TV picture settings screen you can zoom in but you’ll be missing parts of the screen.