cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Arts Painting Birds with Jim Moir

PaulH2011
Superfast

Having watched the first series the V6 recorded (or has a bookmark to) series 2 episode 1 but trying to watch it the only option is to subscribe or upgrade.  I can watch any of the live programmes, why can't I watch this recording?  I have the Maxit TV package.

10 REPLIES 10

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Before trying to replicate this, what are your SL settings? Are they set to "recordings only" or "recordings & streaming videos"?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Had a chance to check this, the answer to my initial post would also be a clue. VoD bookmarks intentionally have the look & feel of recordings, but are fundamentally not - a SL set to in include both is designed to cover over the differences, while recordings will (rightly) always take priority.

S2 E1 VoD asset is listed as a UHD asset, which therefore falls under the Sky-Entertainment-UHD add-on. Maxit allows access to Sky Arts SD & HD broadcast channels & VoD. The resolution is therefore to record this programme from the SD/HD channel, or pay for the UHD add-on.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I'm aware of the difference between recordings and bookmarks.  Setting is 'recordings and streaming', as for everything else, and we don't have a problem with other programs.

Catch Up or Search shows two series.  Everything in Series 1 shows 'available in your package' or some such but series 2 episode 1 shows 'upgrade to watch'.  So it's a fundamental difference in the programmes.

Dated April 17th at 3am but the program schedule for both Sky Arts and HD shows something completely different.  So how do I 'record this programme from the SD/HD channel'?  Googling indicates it is available on Freeview and Freesat, but when?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All the programmes in S1 are showing available in SD & UHD, that's the difference. Maxit includes access to Sky Arts SD & HD, but not UHD. If you select any of the S1 programmes, select "watch now" and scroll to "see all options", this is highlighted.

Equally, goto "explore this show", and "upcoming" shows no broadcast timeslots available for recording in the next fortnight. DigiGuide (which tends to have listings ~3 weeks in advance) shows new this programme due for airing on 08/05 & 09/05 on Sky Arts HD & Sky Showcase HD.

You could set a series-link via the VoD listing if you wanted these to be automatically scheduled for recording.

We have a series link which is why the bookmark appeared as I wrote in my first post, it's irritating that happens for something we don't have access to.  It's also irritating that none of the publicity mentions the limitations in Sky when it states it was available on Freeview.

The guide might well be three weeks in advance but my Sky Arts details are only available up to 3rd May, the rest are 'to be announced'.  But at last I have a date for when it WILL be available to me, thank you.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@PaulH2011 wrote:It's also irritating that none of the publicity mentions the limitations in Sky when it states it was available on Freeview.

What publicity is this? I believe Sky Arts SD is available on Freeview, but HD only via pay platforms. I'm not using the VM TV Guide for 3weeks out, this was obtained via DigiGuide, a third-party programme that provides rather good EPG searching weeks in advance - via subscription. Sky Arts is the same channel whether you watch it on Freeview, VM or Sky.

The VM EPG is ~12-14days in advance for most pay channels

Google 'Painting birds with Jim Moir'

Not interested in searching weeks in advance, especially via subscription!

If the bookmark hadn't appeared in My Shows (or whatever) I wouldn't have known anything about it until it appeared as a recording - assuming it does, and would have been perfectly happy with that.  As I said before it's being given a link to something I don't have access to - unless I pay even more, that irritates.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You'd have to give a link to the specific publicity you mention, but it doesn't sound like it's Virgin-Media's PR so your complaint should probably be directed elsewhere.

This is an unfortunate side-effect of the TiVo-series-link options allowing SD & HD selections but not differentiating between HD & UHD - combined with UHD being an additional option. There are a few other quirks within the same options, this is but one.

I'd recommend altering your SL settings to include recordings-only, that will remove the VoD bookmark.

I mentioned Google as there was more than one page mentioning it, including a Virgin page.