cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin media 360 upgrade

Birmik
Tuning in

I made the mistake of asking for the 360 upgrade as from 1st November Netflix cannot be accessed via the apps on Virgin media.  The kit has arrived.  I have two boxes already, the TiVo box downstairs connected to my smart tv and a V6 box upstairs connected to my daughters TV which is not a smart tv and has no access to the internet.  I cannot upgrade my daughters TV as it needs internet connection to do so.  I contacted virgin media to discuss this and was speaking to an offshore advisor on chat who did confirm that the tv itself needs internet access to be able to upgrade and I could not just upgrade my main box without doing both.  I advised to cancel the upgrade as I was not about to go out and purchase a smart tv  The advisor told me they would send out a bag to return the equipment.  I specifically said to him “has the upgrade now been cancelled and can you assure me that I will still be able to watch my virgin media services?”  He advised yes.  Low and behold 3 nights ago my virgin media goes off and an automatic upgrade on my main box starts.  3 days later and hours of phone calls I am getting nowhere I have been told there is no going back and have not been given a solution to resolve the issue.  I am absolutely fuming.  I spoke to an advisor in the  UK today who said he would send me a wireless router for my daughters bedroom so that I could do the upgrade.  I couldn’t seem to get through to him that my daughters TV does not have the ability to connect to the internet and how would this work.  He said as long as the V6 box can connect it will work.  Is it me, am I being stupid or is he right?  Virgin Media will be the death of me their level of customer service is appalling.

8 REPLIES 8

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Birmik wrote:

I made the mistake of asking for the 360 upgrade as from 1st November Netflix cannot be accessed via the apps on Virgin media.  The kit has arrived.  I have two boxes already, the TiVo box downstairs connected to my smart tv and a V6 box upstairs connected to my daughters TV which is not a smart tv and has no access to the internet.  I cannot upgrade my daughters TV as it needs internet connection to do so.  my daughters TV does not have the ability to connect to the internet and how would this work.  He said as long as the V6 box can connect it will work.  Is it me, am I being stupid or is he right?  Virgin Media will be the death of me their level of customer service is appalling.

Although your daughters TV isn't a smart TV, it isn't the TV that's needs an internet connection

The V6 box that's upstairs and connected to your daughters TV already has a working VM internet connection.

If it didn't then the EPG on the V6 would not be populated and update with the current program details. Also she would be unable to use catch up services or apps on the V6 box.

So there is nothing to prevent that V6 being migrated to the TV360 platform.   Your daughter will still have access to all current live TV programs via the VM set top box and the  catch up services. She (and yourself) will gain access to additional apps that weren't available on the tivo and V6 boxes. 

The current list of apps on the 360 are  Al Jazeera, A-Maze-ing Mac,  Apple TV+, BBC iPlayer, BBC Sounds, Channel 4, Dance TV, DAZN, Deutsche Welle, Disney+, Fiit, Fireplace, Fishing TV, Fit at Home, France24, Hangman, ITVX, Mubi, My5, Netflix, Paramount+, Pluto TV, Prime Video, QVC+, Radio Line, Rakuten, Solitaire Classic, Space Moodies, STV Player, Subscriptions, Tetris, U, Vevo, VM Store, Wall Street Journal, World Poker Tour, You Tube.

There's a youtube video showing how to migrate the V6 box to the TV360 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac9q3zu3drw 

Your current downstairs tivo box should be swapped out for the new 360 box that you have received.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Birmik wrote:

I made the mistake of asking for the 360 upgrade as from 1st November Netflix cannot be accessed via the apps on Virgin media.

This is too late for you, but Netflix is being removed from the legacy TiVo boxes, it is NOT being removed from V6.

Letters being sent to mixed TiVo/V6 households imply that you need to migrate all your boxes to TV360 - including a hardware swap of the TiVo to a mini-box - to retain Netflix access. This is categorically NOT the case, and only the TiVo needs swapping out for a V6.

TiVo's have their own inbuilt internet connection for all online functions - OnDemand, EPG updates & streaming. Both V6 & TV360 have the same requirement for a connection to your home-hub for an onward internet connection for the same functions.

The co-ax connection to all TiVo, V6 & TV360 boxes provides the live broadcast TV feed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks very much for response.  So I got the package out of the garage.  As the TiVo box had automatically started the update, it was stuck on the pair remote screen.  I was reluctant to do this before as I didn’t want to mess things up and my daughter lose her access.  So I have now taken one of the remotes out of the box and have successfully paired it with my TiVo box and now have access to the new 360 platform on my main box.  I have restarted my daughters TV and V6 box and there has been no upgrade nor does it give me any option to do this so there is only the old virgin media platform.  The instructions tell me to go to the app screen and use their icon for the upgrade.  There is no icon for the 360 upgrade as clearly the TV does not have internet access.  I just hope that she only loses her access to Netflix at the end of the month and not virgin media as a whole, otherwise I will have to try to get virgin media customer services to understand. 😩 Thanks again

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Birmik wrote:

Thanks very much for response.  So I got the package out of the garage.  As the TiVo box had automatically started the update, it was stuck on the pair remote screen.  I was reluctant to do this before as I didn’t want to mess things up and my daughter lose her access.  So I have now taken one of the remotes out of the box and have successfully paired it with my TiVo box and now have access to the new 360 platform on my main box.  I have restarted my daughters TV and V6 box and there has been no upgrade nor does it give me any option to do this so there is only the old virgin media platform.  The instructions tell me to go to the app screen and use their icon for the upgrade.  There is no icon for the 360 upgrade as clearly the TV does not have internet access.  I just hope that she only loses her access to Netflix at the end of the month and not virgin media as a whole, otherwise I will have to try to get virgin media customer services to understand. 😩 Thanks again

The box you have been provided with is a Horizon V360 box. It runs Horizon firmware & not TiVO firmware. As far as your daughter's box is concerned, the instructions are not asking you to access an app on her TV. You need to go to the "Apps and Games" section from the home screen on her V6 box, & the 360 migration app should be up in the top left.

Just to make sure, the TiVO 500 box below is the one that has to be replaced with the new box provided:

Older TiVOOlder TiVO

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @Birmik

You have been confusing the V6 box and the tivo boxes. It very much seems like your box was the V6 box (now migrated to a 360 with the software update) , and you daughters is the older tivo box.  As such your daughters box won't have the install now app and it needs to be swapped out for the new TV360 box that you received.

Switch off the tivo box in your daughters room and unplug it, and replace it with the new 360 box. There's a video on you tube that shows you how to install the new box  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KruQsQbPMsw 

Start the video from 1 minute 58 seconds in, and follow the instructions 

You can also follow the instructions from page 18 of the following online manual  nstead if you find that easier. 

https://assets.virginmedia.com/resources/pdf/TV360.pdf 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

If you had the old TiVo box then you should have been sent a 360 mini box to replace it which looks like a V6 box but is half the height because it doesn't have a hard drive.

360 box on the left and 360 mini box on the right in the picture below.

roy247_1-1665833089880.jpeg

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and help.  Can I just clarify, yes the box above is the one in my daughters room.  So the 360 box I have received from Virgin Media will replace this box then not my main box downstairs?  I was wondering as my TiVo box downstairs is the one that automatically updated without any prompt from me and I managed to tune in the 360 remote and this box now works on the new 360 format/software.  The instructions that came in the box from virgin media seem to tell me to replace  my main box with the new 360 box and the other will link in.  It certainly makes more sense the way you have advised.  Will this new 360 box actually allow me to do the upgrade on my daughters TV if it is not a smart TV and does not have the ability to connect to a network?  Sorry I am a bit of a technical dinosaur and my knowledge is limited.  I do appreciate your help, but it is the instructions included within the package from virgin media that do not ad£ up.

Thanks again

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Birmik wrote:

I was wondering as my TiVo box downstairs is the one that automatically updated without any prompt from me

You are still confusing the TiVo & V6. TiVo-software runs on both, but the hardware is known as TiVo OR V6.

The TiVo-box can only run TiVo-software and is physically swapped out for a TV360-mini box, as per roy's picture above. A V6 can be software-converted into a TV360-master.

The TV that any box is connected to is immaterial - you're not doing anything on the TV save plugging in an HDMI lead whose other end connects to the set-top-box. Think of the TV as a computer monitor - you don't do anything with it to convert a machine from, say, Windows 10 > Windows 11. You just use it to view the video output.