cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chromecast with TV GO

nickyoung13
Joining in

Hello,

Any plans to make TV GO to be able to cast in the future?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I doubt this will happen as it will effectively provide free MultiRoom.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

A Virgin engineer told someone they could do this recently and there are notes online talking about Google Home app for iPhone which enables it but I could not see this at all.

Someone claiming it here - but must be BS?

https://xtrium.com/can-you-cast-virgin-tv-go/ 

Maybe it works on Android?

Hi @kilburnflyer 

The Virgin TV Go app does not support Chromecast.

Thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@kilburnflyer wrote:

A Virgin engineer told someone they could do this recently and there are notes online talking about Google Home app for iPhone which enables it but I could not see this at all.

Someone claiming it here - but must be BS?

https://xtrium.com/can-you-cast-virgin-tv-go/ 

Maybe it works on Android?

There is a simple answer to why this is not allowed. Virgin’s TV agreements with the broadcasters allow for their content to be viewed on a TV at the registered account address. More than one TV must be covered by Multiroom boxes.

The TV Go app is not “ring fenced” to your home network & allows you access to the channels on portable devices outside the home. If Virgin allowed customers to “cast” to a TV, this could be used on an TV anywhere (including the local pub) & is therefore breaking Virgin’s carriage agreements. That is why the facility has been blocked.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@nodrogd wrote:

That is why the facility has been blocked.

Reason for blocking is self evident.

Client though, said that Virgin Engineer told them to stream from iPhone to Chromecast dongle instead of them putting wires outside the house to run a multiroom box so they could watch live sport at top of house - I believe there is a workaround where you could do it over wifi/ethernet without the coax but would have to start recording for a minute on the main box before you can stream - which is what they thought they could do with the phone and then mirror to the upstairs TV to Chromecast dongle.

I understand on iOS developers can block apps from their content appearing when accessed by the screen recording API thus blocking from Screen Mirroring Apps. Mable on Android you can get round this?