cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Booster

Harsha90
Tuning in

Hi 

Is it possible for me to get a booster please?

Weve had the internet a few months and we are getting poor signal in the back of the house which has been extended.. I went through the virgin media connect app and it advised me to try a booster. We already have two in the house. We require two more 

It’s also affecting our sky always disconnect. I’m not very pleased with the internet as this has never happened before, until we installed virgin. It’s very frustrating especially when I am trying to work it will cut out and will take ages to reconnect and whilst trying to watch TV.  I pay for a service and I expect it to work properly. 
Please can someone advise 

Thanks 

2 REPLIES 2

FlockWallpaper
Up to speed

I believe that the maximum that VM will allow any customer to have, is three. But, as you already have two and are still experiencing issues, maybe it might be better to stop and re-think the problem?

I assume that the hub is located somewhere towards the front of your house and hence the wifi doesn’t well cover the back, yes? The very best option is to see if you (or an electrician) can run an ethernet cable between the hub and a reasonable location at the back, into which you can connect any third party wireless access point. This would be vastly more reliable than having more boosters.

Remember that they aren’t ‘boosters’ as such, think of it more like a bucket-chain! The hub’s wifi connected to the first pod, which relays the signal on to the next pod and so on. For various technical reasons, each time it does that, it basically halves the speed, unless each pod (or other third party device) can be directly connected to the hub via ethernet cable.

That being said, because of the way they work, each pod needs to be roughly half way* between where the hub physically is and where you have connectivity issues, there’s no point putting one in the problematic room itself. Maybe moving your existing pods around might well help matters? Is there any possibility of relocating the hub itself to a more central location (this would cost you £25 for VM to do, no guarantees, but maybe worth a punt)?

* In theory, true, but complicated by things such as intervening walls, what they are made off, other sources of interference etc.

Sabrina_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Harsha90 👋.

Thanks for reaching out to us and welcome to the Community Forums. Apologies for the issues that you are having withe the signal in your home. We can see that you wish for 2 more boosters, I do apologise but the maximum limit is 3 only. We can certainly send out a third, we would need to bring you in for private message to get some details from you. 

Please look out for the envelope on the top right of your web browser or if you are using a mobile device, it will be located under your profile icon.

Thanks.

Sabrina