cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Offer by Telephone

markess
Joining in

Telephone call from [DELETED] offering me a discount on my account. Caller asked for three letters from my memorable word. While she was on the phone, I Googled the number - it's associated with fraudulent calls.

Can someone from Virgin media please confirm whether or not the call was genuine? I hung up as soon as I had Googled the number and didn't give the caller any of my information.

[MOD EDIT: number edited in case it's an innocent number being spoofed]

2 REPLIES 2

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Markess 👋 welcome back to the community! Thank you for raising your concerns regarding this call. 

We will need to send you a PM to confirm a few details so we can check the account and check this for you. 

I will do this for you now - you can find the PM in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox. 📩 We can then return to this public thread with another update when possible. Thank you for your patience in the meantime!

Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly

FlockWallpaper
Dialled in

The problem with the existing telephone system is that it is ridiculously easy to spoof a number, you really can’t rely on the number shown on your phone as being where the call is actually coming from.

So let’s imagine that VM have a genuine, real number. The scammers will be aware of it, so start calling people and spoof their number to appear to be coming from the real VM number. Victims of this fraud then start posting that the number they ‘apparently’ were called from is a scam number and hence VM’s legitimate numbers get flagged as a scam.

However, having said all that, if you were to get a call from someone claiming to be VM, the issue is that you don’t know that. The onus should be on them to prove they are who they claim to be, they rang you, and they should tell you three characters from your memorable word, absolutely not the other way round!

And if they refuse to do so or claim they can’t, simply do what you did and put the phone down!