cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retentions call.

cam1eron
Joining in

Currently on 1gig with a phone ( evenings and weekends) and paying £38 with discounts. Can someone tell me if the hub 4 can carry 1gig, just curious as I thought it was hub 5 only. When I gave my notice two days back I was offered the same but at £56 and turned it down as its too much, they rang me back today with a very similar offer (still too much) so I declined again. There are no other fibre providers in my area so I would not want to shoot myself in the foot even if it means lowering my speed. Will they try again or have I seen my best?

3 REPLIES 3

prt32
Superfast

Hub 4 can do 1 gig. It will max out at 940 due to overheads.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, a single ethernet device will max at around 940Mb due to TCP overheads.  However using multiple Wifi devices simultaneously can get the full 1Gb on a Hub 4.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

unisoft
Well-informed

@cam1eron wrote:

Currently on 1gig with a phone ( evenings and weekends) and paying £38 with discounts. Can someone tell me if the hub 4 can carry 1gig, just curious as I thought it was hub 5 only. When I gave my notice two days back I was offered the same but at £56 and turned it down as its too much, they rang me back today with a very similar offer (still too much) so I declined again. There are no other fibre providers in my area so I would not want to shoot myself in the foot even if it means lowering my speed. Will they try again or have I seen my best?

To use the over provisioned speed on Gig1 to a wired device, you'll need the HUB5 and it's single 2.5gbps ethernet port. You will also need the wired devices to support ethernet ports with > gigibit speed. the HUB4 will top out at 940mbps on its wired ports.

So likely to be in MODEM MODE with 2.5gbps port connected to your own router which has 2.5gbps or higher ethernet ports or at least one 2.5gbps or higher ethernet port that then connects to a switch/hub with 2.5gbps or higher ports to connect additional devices. Each of those devices needs to support > gigabit too to be able to use full bandwidth.

The HUB4 can only share the extra bandwidth across multiple WIFI devices. As the HUB4 doesn't have WIFI 6 AX like the HUB5, no singular WIFI device will get the full speed because it only supports up to WIFI 5 AC speeds.