cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 support on Virgin media

dgcarter
Dialled in

Does anyone know whether (and if so when) Virgin plan to implement IPv6 on its network?

1,493 REPLIES 1,493

I've just installed a Firefox add-in called "Six or not" which tells you whether the site you are visiting is IPv6 enabled or not. I find it a bit depressing that hardly any UK sites I use regularly (e.g. banking, shopping, government) are, including sites where this subject is a regular topic of discussion!

Being a bit of a Firefox add-on junkie, I run all three of the best known IPv6 detectors, IPvFox, SixOrNot, and 4or6, and used to have a 4th until it lost compatibility with the rapidly changing Firefox. It's really nice to see a whole row of green 6's light up on an IPv6 site. 🙂

But you're right, the low take-up by commerce is depressing.  That said, when confronted about it, companies in the UK almost universally give the excuse that "The main residential ISPs don't provide IPv6 yet."  It certainly was true, at least until Sky decided to join the modern age a few months ago.  If BT Infinity sticks to their announced timeline, we'll soon have a majority of UK broadband subscribers on IPv6, and that whole row of green 6's should become a much more common sight as companies respond to the change.

As for Virgin ... well perhaps they should change their marketing byline to "The Retro ISP". 😞

"If it only does IPv4, it is broken." -- George Michaelson, APNIC.

xbox one console need the support off it , when i go into my settings it states try an ipv6 connection

i think its about time you supported this

@Wez2025 wrote:

xbox one console need the support off it , when i go into my settings it states try an ipv6 connection

Xbox one does not need IPv6.  It works with IPv4 which is what VM customers use.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

@Wez2025 wrote:

What you're seeing is the standard behaviour of moden Internet hosts and applications, which is to try IPv6 first.  End user machines have been ready for IPv6 for many years, well over a decade in some cases.

It's the residential ISPs that have been dragging their heels, and Virgin is slowest of the Big Three in that respect.  It's also the least interested in talking to their customers about it.  We've been trying here for over half a decade, to nil effect.

As was pointed out here last month, VM's Darryl Tanner is giving another talk at this month's UK IPv6 Council Meeting on 31st October 2016, alongside the other major ISPs. It's not easy to be optimistic given VM's past history on IPv6, but let's hope pressure from Sky and BT Infinity has some effect.

Can't wait for next Monday, 31st Oct. Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. 😞

No sign of VM at the IPv6 council meeting!
TonyJr

Wow, you're right:  http://www.ipv6.org.uk/2016/08/31/ipv6-council-meeting-october-2016/

I suppose we'll have to wait until the videos are posted at IET before we're sure.  (But getting them to play or download from the IET's appallingly non-interoperable site will be an epic project in its own right.)  Taking optimism to new heights of surreal, Darryl Tanner may have just caught a cold and not felt well enough to give a talk.  One can hope. 🙂

I can't help guessing at what we'll really find though ... the worst possible outcome, Virgin being utterly useless at staying in touch with the march of progress and equally useless at communicating with their customers.  I'd feel happy for Darryl though if he did a no-show to avoid the myopic VM business people wrecking his technical career again with yet another acutely embarrassing non-presentation like at the last meeting.

When are Virgin Media (liberty global) going to get their act together????

All the big players are actively rolling out IPv6 yet VM are silent & ignoring all requests!

There are so many advantages with routing, reduction of NAT keep-alive packets, streaming, integrated IPsec and much more.

I'm not holding my breathe for a VM presentation at the council meeting as they probably have nothing to report which is so frustrating!