cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 SSID changed by itself (Again)

charlieannear
On our wavelength

So I first had this problem back in Oct 22 (but can't revive that post because it's been archived). The Hub 5 renamed itself from VMXXXXXXX to UPCXXXXXXX. The password had not changed! I had done nothing to bring about this change. Nobody seemed to believe me or be able to offer an explanation, but I was able to rename it back to what it was before, and all my connected devices were happy.

A few months later it did it again, but this time I decided to leave it with it's new preferred name, and reconnected all my devices with the new/UPC SSID and (the old password) to suit.

Fast forward to this evening, and all my devices lost connection to the internet, so I rebooted the Hub 5 but when it came back on it had a blue flashing light. Rebooted it again and it's renamed itself back to it's 'VM' identity! But it still has a flashing blue light (which Googling suggests means it's not searching for a WPS connection like the Virgin Hub 5 lights guide states, but instead means the Hub 5 has deregistered itself, which requires Virgin assistance) and even if I tell my devices to connect to the VM identity, they report IP configuration problems.

I've used the app(s), and booked a technician, and will try the 150 number in the morning, but in case there's a known fix for this, can anyone shed any light (haha) on this issue, please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ModTeam

Hello all, 

Sorry about the problems you've been having with this. We've now identified this issue as a bug and we're working to fix it. We will deploy said fix in a future update.

Thanks for your patience, 

Your Community Moderators

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

VM have no control over their hub I suggest you use modem mode and get your own router with 1Gb ports.

Maybe how ever the hub is doing this because of a SSID collision.

---------------------------------------------------------------

VM have no control over their hub!! You said it yourself it's 'their hub' 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Guess I should of said the user has no control over their hub in router mode or no one has control over the hub as they take over.😋

---------------------------------------------------------------

Client62
Alessandro Volta

The VM Connect app recently gained a setting that causes a replacement Hub to revert to the Wi-Fi settings of the previous Hub.

Could this apply in this here ?  

Nope, I haven't changed the Hub.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Could be a faulty hub. The UPC branding is what the hub has before the VM firmware is applied. Call customer services or wait a day or two for a VM staff member to pick up your post,

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi charlieannear

Sorry to hear of the Hub issues experienced, we appreciate you making us aware via the forums.

It's been a few days since your post, is this still the same or have you been able to speak to the team in regards to this?

Let us know and we're happy to help if needed.

Rob

Thanks for getting back to me.
That evening I went out and noticed the water company had dug a hole next to our street cabinet- coincidence? Not sure!
During the night VM recognised there was an issue in my area (although the status check didn't seem to think so) so they cancelled my technician and said the issue would be looked at that morning. Shortly after that I received another message to say the issue had been resolved. However, we were still offline and rebooting the router still didn't help. So I was annoyed that the technician had been cancelled before it had been confirmed that the issue was sorted.
I used the app again to run a test on the kit and it recognised that there was an intermittent connection issue, it stated that Virgin were 'looking into it' and to wait 24 hours. During that 24 hours I tried a couple more reboots where the router flip-flopped between identities (VM/UPC), and at the end of the 24 hours it still wasn't working. Running another test, the app triggered a factory reset of the router. I was glad that the router was visible on the VM network, and could see this in progress when the light changed from solid white to flashing green without my having to do anything manually. The factory reset seems to have worked as we were back online on Saturday morning, and the router is still calling itself 'UPC'!

ModTeam

Hello all, 

Sorry about the problems you've been having with this. We've now identified this issue as a bug and we're working to fix it. We will deploy said fix in a future update.

Thanks for your patience, 

Your Community Moderators