cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying for Gig1 Fibre but haven't been changed over to FTTP or 5x Hub

Azimkar
Tuning in

Virgin might have the most useless phone service I've ever seen I'm considering leaving just for that reason alone.

I'm paying £67 a month out of contract for Fibre Gig1 - all the lines in the area have been ugpraded to the new FTTP Optical system XGS-PON, but i'm still on this old DOCSIS system with crappy latency spikes and horrible throttling, Virgin doesn't seem to have a clue what I'm talking about on the phone. 

How do I go about getting my lines changed over?

8 REPLIES 8

carl_pearce
Community elder

Virgin Media don't use OpenReach, they use their own network.

RT123
Up to speed

Hi,

If you are referring to Openreach FTTP, since you are out of contract, you are free to leave to get the OR connection installed. Call Virgin on 0345 454 1111 or 150 on a Virgin Landline. You could also contact them on X (@VirginMedia) or Facebook.

I do not work for VM, just trying to help!

Client62
Alessandro Volta

"changed over to FTTP or 5x Hub" - Is this what you assumed, or what you have in writing as an order ?

RT123
Up to speed

Hi, 

There is a dedicated team for XG-PON (tech support anyway, not sure about sales/upgrades).

Have you tried the thinking of leaving us option? If worst comes to worst, you could actually cancel and wait for a call from retentions.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Azimkar wrote:

Virgin might have the most useless phone service I've ever seen I'm considering leaving just for that reason alone.

I'm paying £67 a month out of contract for Fibre Gig1 - all the lines in the area have been ugpraded to the new FTTP Optical system XGS-PON, but i'm still on this old DOCSIS system with crappy latency spikes and horrible throttling, Virgin doesn't seem to have a clue what I'm talking about on the phone. 

How do I go about getting my lines changed over?

VM have their own networks. Openreach is nothing to do with VM in existing cable franchise areas. VM are doing their own upgrades to FTTP using their existing ducting & new cabinets that is due to be completed in 2028. If you are having issues with your connection call faults & get them investigated.

IMG_0548.jpeg

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Spoke to retentions manager just as useless, they said I have to wait for an email at some unknown point in the future to get the new hub and get switched over. Will probably just leave VM at this point not worth the hassle.

I would say cancel your service and then wait for a callback from outbound retentions if you haven’t already tried that - might be useful.

IPFreely
Fibre optic

Virgin Media haven't released XGSPON anywhere that was previously on DoCSIS / HFC in the UK. Given that fact I'm not surprised the staff are confused and have no idea what you're talking about.

Just because some bits of the area, newly built, have XGSPON doesn't mean anything for existing HFC network, neither does the presence of new cabinets next to older ones:even if it's all in place if simply hasn't been released for sale yet. 

If you have HFC as of right now you do not have access to XGSPON from VM and there is nothing anyone can do to move you onto it: the answer the retentions manager gave you was spot on.

I'm curious why you think all the lines have been upgraded though?