cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable my street

rgjstone
Tuning in

Hi I'm just wondering if I could get some information if it's likely my street will be cabled in the near future? I noticed there's some cables being installed a street over and further back from there.

I've attached an image to show where they're being installed, we live between Wardle St and Sandal St and are all currently connected to an old bt cabinet and community funding an upgrade would cost us £5k through openreach even though there are fibre enabled cabinets within 20 metres and we live walking distance to the centre of manchester. 

Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 20.34.47.png

578 REPLIES 578

I understand the frustration Gary, this has been raised with the team who look after the expansion planning, roll out and work to be looked into further. These are the best people to bring this to the attention of with the view to getting more details on what exactly has happened.

Rob

Andy111
On our wavelength

Not aimed at you Rob as your doing your job. However it does seem as this forum and as regards asking for information has gone down bank. When I first joined there was mods similar to KathF who the minute you asked about an area would get onto the build team straight away to get answers. Whereas now all you tend to get is, have you registered your interest on the cable my street web page, which is basically as informative as asking the cat what the weather is going be like. Please can we get the likes of KathF back.

Anonymous
Not applicable
sad to say that people like KathF were part of Swansea that closed. The new staff is based in manchester now and some offshore agents. You can't get them back but I agree they didan amazing job

southpaw83
Tuning in

Do Virgin actually expand their cabling network?

Was a customer for years in my old house, moved here and despite the estates surrounding here being cabled, mine isn't. 

This thread seems to be requests for this to change, but very little in the way of any actual work being rolled out. 

Does Virgin react to requests on here or the cable my street website?

Incredibly frustrating that houses over the fence can access your broadband, but not here. 

The replies are perfectly pleasant on here, but nothing much happens. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
yes they expand it but its all planned years in advance and based on income proidictions.

For example you'd have to cable a road 400m long to get to me and there is only 7 houses at the end of the road so VM wont do it as they will never make the money back even if everyone had top services.

Threlly
Joining in

Let's come at this from a different angle.

1) Where are VM, at this very moment, ACTUALLY digging and installing new cable ?
2) Where are VM, at this very moment taking ANY action as a direct result of queries from this forum ?

One call to the Service Management team, one ping, one email should result in a list.
They should be proud to provide such information, evidence of their pro-active response to the needs and requirements
of the people that PAY THEIR WAGES.

Please feel free to attach it as a spreadsheet if there's more than a few lines.

Heaven forbid somebody should FOI them.

@Threlly dont think the forum staff would have access to that would need to request this info via the rollout/construction department, virginmedia moved from Swansea to Manchester, as for a area is being cabled can depend on supply and demand, since isn't cheap to plan/wire area depending on a few people requesting services

Hi Paul,
I wouldn't want to query the dept directly responsible for the work, I would go to the Service management function or equivalent.
They will report and co-ordinate and supply relevant info directly to other dept managers and probably the board.
So I'm not asking something they don't know and that isn't sitting in a spreadsheet or whatever management/reporting system they use.
It's a 2 minute job.

We won't get the info, we both know that, but there it is. Vigin Media.

Hello, my husband and I just moved into W8 6QP where the other homeowners in the mews have expressed great frustration at not being able to get high speed internet of any kind. We would really love to have Virgin here, seeing as our friends in houses and flats just two minutes walk away are set up for it. Is there anything we can do to find out what the situation might be and how to get your services? 

Hi aishath_n

Welcome to our community forum pages and thank you for posting. 

We are in the process of expanding our network and you can stay updated on our progress here.

We hope to be with you shortly and we appreciate your interest.

Kind regards

Paul,