cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ipad email accounts

Hounds
On our wavelength

Please can any one help I had to change all my virgin email passwords, now when I try to set up my new details on my I pad it just keeps coming up with No Password provided for xxxx please go to mail account settings and enter a password!

this was the setting I was in and entered my correct password I now find I am going around in circles keep entering password and error keeps saying no password 

is this a virgin problem or something on my iPad although it did let me change what is my primary email but not addition one so I think it’s virgin?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Hounds wrote:

is this a virgin problem or something on my iPad although it did let me change what is my primary email but not addition one so I think it’s virgin?

Virgin Media have recently made a change to their email service which means that when you reset a VM email password you now have to generate an app specific password to use when accessing that email address in a third party email client such as the email app of your iPad.

To do that, sign into the My Virgin Media account for that email address (where you reset the account password) and click on "Account Settings" and then  "Account Details"

Then scroll down the page to "Mailbox app password management." and click on "Manage".

You can then generate an app password which will be in the format:        video-post-mossy-sharp

You then enter that new app password (including the "-") into the password field in the email app in your iPad.

That should resolve the problem but post back if you still get that error.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Hounds wrote:

Virgin Media have recently made a change to their email service which means that when you reset a VM email password you now have to generate an app specific password to use when accessing that email address in a third party email client such as the email app of your iPad.

To do that, sign into the My Virgin Media account for that email address (where you reset the account password) and click on "Account Settings" and then  "Account Details"

Then scroll down the page to "Mailbox app password management." and click on "Manage".

You can then generate an app password which will be in the format:        video-post-mossy-sharp

You then enter that new app password (including the "-") into the password field in the email app in your iPad.

That should resolve the problem but post back if you still get that error.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Hounds
On our wavelength

After speaking to nine different virginmedia operators/experts off shore and being told it was an external server problem and wasting 15hrs going round in circles THANK YOU yes it works don’t know your location but I owe you a few drinks many thanks for your response.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Hounds wrote: I owe you a few drinks many thanks for your response.

Thanks for that kind thought, I'm just glad you have got your email up and running again.

It appears that VM introduced that change without advising their customers or, from what you say, even  their support staff!

Cheers.🍺

Coenoby

Hello.  Can the same application password be used for multiple accounts?  I continue to get the error on the iPad when using the application password I have set up for other email clients for this account.  I assume the generated password/phrase syntax should the "-" separators?

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mutineer wrote:

Can the same application password be used for multiple accounts? 

Yes, once you have generated a new mail app password for a VM email account you have to use it in all email apps that access that account.

I assume the generated password/phrase syntax should the "-" separators?

Absolutely. It has to be exactly as it is displayed when you generate it.

I continue to get the error on the iPad when using the application password I have set up for other email clients for this account.

If you are only getting that problem with the email app on your iPad I would try deleting the email account from  that iPad email app and then try adding it back into the app as new account. That often cures many issues with email apps.

Coenoby

Ah sorry!  Yes it can be used for multiple accounts and does require the separators.

The problem was with other server settings.  Note that if you have ntlworld.com addresses that you will now need to update the server names...  the old ntlworld server mappings no longer work with app passwords.