cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to move from Virgin email / NTL email to gmail

vcustomer77
On our wavelength

Hi

I have one NTL and two Virgin email addresses. I use them all.

I also have three Gmail addresses which I hardly use.

How do I move across from my NTL and Virgin email addresses 'into' my Gmail ones? Ie, can I transfer my received and future emails to Gmail. Will I need to update my email addresses or will emails sent to my Virgin / NTL addresses automatically move across?

I'm not especially technological so fairly basic, step by step guidance would be great if possible please.

many TIA.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, you use email forwarding.  Just setup a rule to forward all your email in each "VM" mailbox, to forward into your Gmail inbox. 

However, I would seriously consider changing all your VM emails to the Gmail accounts.  I did this sone time ago as personally I think an email service from VM is not going to be around much longer.  Even new accounts can't have a VM email anymore, you now have to use a 3rd party email address.  It's a real pain to migrate, but really worth it in the end.  So no matter which ISP you choose, your email will not be affected.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, you use email forwarding.  Just setup a rule to forward all your email in each "VM" mailbox, to forward into your Gmail inbox. 

However, I would seriously consider changing all your VM emails to the Gmail accounts.  I did this sone time ago as personally I think an email service from VM is not going to be around much longer.  Even new accounts can't have a VM email anymore, you now have to use a 3rd party email address.  It's a real pain to migrate, but really worth it in the end.  So no matter which ISP you choose, your email will not be affected.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks. What are the steps that I will need to take to change my VM emails to my Gmail ones? TIA

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In a nutshell, you need to go through your VM emails and decide which ones are important enough to you.  Then, for example, if you have a VM email for your Bank, change it to a Gmail one.  Do this for each and every important email.  I did this some time back, and yes it is a long process, but I was also able to weed out a lot of rubbish as well.

clivesmith6
Joining in

I am in a similar situation I have one orphaned account and I would expect to manually contact suppliers and the banks for future communications. But I presume there is a way of transferring the content of the existing account which does not involve manually accessing all messages and downloading attachments manually. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

There is an app that will do this, mentioned occasionally on here. A few minutes on Google should find it, or if you are lucky someone may pop up with a link. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.