cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUB 5 Rollout for Existing Customers - When ??

dhairbus
Dialled in

What is the latest on status of HUB 5 supply for existing customers? 

About 2+ years ago there was an announcement "we’ll be offering this to customers at no extra cost as part of a phased rollout" - "existing customers with  a 1gig package would be contacted" . It seems to have been a fob off as all that happens now is "the HUB 4 is OK for your package"  >2  years is along time even by Virgin Media (Liberty Global) standards.

Dark Knight
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

"priority list" 🤣🤣🤣

Sorry I don't think VM know what priority or 1Gig means.

Dark Knight

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

23 REPLIES 23

carl_pearce
Community elder

Why would they?

The HUB 4 is more than capable of Gig1 speeds.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When VM migrates all customers onto full fibre XGS-PON over the next few years you will get a Hub5x anyway, as it is the only non-DOCSIS hub they have.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@nodrogd wrote:

When VM migrates all customers onto full fibre XGS-PON over the next few years you will get a Hub5x anyway, as it is the only non-DOCSIS hub they have.

HUB 5x you mean?

dhairbus
Dialled in

Because people accept things without questioning why not.. Not when it bottlenecks at 940mB and I don't want to buy a router to get the 2.5gB (and wf 6) that I expected. It was advertised as part of 1g package. It's the British way to accept it's ok when it isn't 🤣 VM rollout their price increases without delay. 

I get 1153 to HUB then 690 -940 HUB 4 in router mode. Been with VM <> 30 yrs but how much longer is the question.

Dark Knight

@dhairbus wrote:

Because people accept things without questioning why not.. Not when it bottlenecks at 940mB and I don't want to buy a router to get the 2.5gB (and wfi6) that I expected. It was advertised as part of 1g package. It's the British way to accept it's ok when it isn't 🤣 VM rollout their price increases without delay. 

I get 1153 to  then 690 -940 so the HUB 4 in router. Been with VM <> 30 yrs but how much longer is the question.

Technically they aren't breaking their promise with full speed when shared across multiple devices at the same time, which is what it's designed for.

If they don't have to spend millions why would they bother?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@carl_pearce wrote:

@nodrogd wrote:

HUB 5x you mean?

As you can see, I corrected my typo before you posted your reply. Wow, You were quick. That mistake was up for all of 20 seconds

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

big-luap
Up to speed

8 months ago had a multitude of fault with the Hub4, Engineer took one look at it and said I'm changing that.

so I got the super hub 5. oh goody......

My network had Gigabit switches so my headline download sped was 960.

But when ever I did a test to the Hub the speed was 1140, So I asked the question to some network Nerds, who explaing it was the Gigabit switched holding me back. So I got a 2.5 Gig switch and hey presto. Speeds of up to 1160.

bigluap_0-1709486096681.png

But it turns out Virgin were not happy about users being able to access these speeds, so they rolled out Firmware LG-RDK_7.6.15-2306.5. Which basically kills to 2.5 gig port and any 2.5 gig switches that are connected to it  "enables EEE which all unmanaged 2.5Gb switches have".

The moral "dont wish for it just yet. Virgin are screwing with it." 

@carl_pearce wrote:

@dhairbus wrote:

Because people accept things without questioning why not.. Not when it bottlenecks at 940mB and I don't want to buy a router to get the 2.5gB (and wfi6) that I expected. It was advertised as part of 1g package. It's the British way to accept it's ok when it isn't 🤣 VM rollout their price increases without delay. 

I get 1153 to  then 690 -940 so the HUB 4 in router. Been with VM <> 30 yrs but how much longer is the question.

Technically they aren't breaking their promise with full speed when shared across multiple devices at the same time, which is what it's designed for.

If they don't have to spend millions why would they bother?

but that is not how it was originally marketed......and no small print to say "shared"

In my view customer has every right to ask for HUB5 if they need for better Wifi (AX on Hub5) or because they have their own router with 2.5gbps ports and wish to use in modem mode. Why should one customer be hampered on 1gbps with Hub4, whilst another gets full benefit by having HUB5.

The poster is correct, in that VM did originally say existing customers would get at no extra cost. I've even linked to that statement, and the statement posted as a VM forum post some time ago on here.

https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-tv-edit/tips-and-tricks/gig1-fastest-broadband-uk?&intcmpid=house...

The Gig1 broadband service offers average download speeds of 1,130Mbps – that’s 16 times faster than the national average – which enables households to do more online at the same time and on multiple devices.

Everyone online, all at the same time

Bring on all your screens, consoles, sound systems and smart home devices. Gig1 Fibre Broadband lets everyone at home do more online, at the same time.