cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I charged £35 for the Free Volt Broadband Upgrade to 1gb

mabseyuk
Joining in

I'm a little confused. So was on the 600mb service, I have taken 3 x o2 Sims and it said Volt has been activated. The sims got double data, and I contacted Virgin asking when my speed boost on Broadband would be applied as its been 14 days. They said the Boost to 1gb was Free, but said there was a £35 Activation Fee??? I'm a little confused, why have I had to pay £35, when it claims on the website, the upgrade to the next Tier is Free. They said they are sending me a new hub this week.

Mabs

4 REPLIES 4

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

That's "free" as in "we, Virgin Media's management, think the muggles will be so fixated on the idea of something for nothing that they'll suck up a surprise £35 charge without squealing too much".

Raise a complaint using the online form in My Virgin Media, asking for them to accept your offer of a free settlement involving no costs to VM, but the credit of £35 to your account (after all, thirty five pounds = free, we've already established that).  This is highly likely to be fobbed off, if that happens you reject the "resolution" VM offer and ask for a deadlock letter.  With a deadlock letter you can then escalate the matter for free to the industry adjudication scheme, CISAS.  Now that is free for you, in the ordinarily accepted sense of the word.  But it won't be free for VM, nor even "free=£35", as they will get hit with some chunky adjudication fees. 

Or the forum staff could intervene quickly and get the £35 cancelled or credited back to your account, thus saving everybody a lot of hassle?

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

if you go to arbitration add another £50 compensation for the hassle and your wasted time to resolve the 'free' offer

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thank you both for the replies, I will take the Complaint Route as you suggest, and escalate afterwards.

Mabs

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there mabseyuk,

Welcome back to the community.

Just to ask, have you received a new router by any chance?
Let us know,

Kain