cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Mobile to O2 - lost my number!!!

Iher01
Tuning in

I renewed my contract for broadband in February which previously included a Virgin Mobile SIM.

The rep told me that my Virgin Mobile would automatically be ported and switched to a new contract with O2.l as they couldn’t renew the Virgin Mobile part of the contract because of the merger.

I received a note to say my Virgin Mobile contract was ended.

I read “The move will occur seamlessly and over the air for the vast majority of customers. Your phone number will not change and there will be no need to replace SIMs, change billing dates or information.”

I lost Virgin Mobile reception on Friday morning and still don’t have service I assumed that the service would switch automatically to O2 how wrong was I!

I contacted Virgin Media, Virgin Mobile and O2 and it is a complete mess. Each department is blaming each other and I am getting passed between departments.

I even asked to cancel out of frustration and was transferred to O2.

The whole thing is a mess and I would avoid at all costs.

Where I am now : Virgin Mobile have got me to sign for a temporary number and logged a request to get my old number back which will take 5 working days. So no one can contact me, my two factor txt authentication doesn’t work for banking etc and it’s all a complete joke!

I still have no clue how to login to O2 and apparently I should get a SIM sent through but every time I call Virgin Media they say I need to speak to O2 and am then connected through but they have no record of my contract.

I am in an infinite loop.

4 REPLIES 4

Patricia1066
Tuning in

That's a nightmare. 2FA when you have lost your mobile number is being locked out of your identity, and is cause for urgent action.

Perhaps a VM staff member can look at it please?

Have you had an o2 contract number - not the mobile number? If you do you can find the mobile number associated. Then ask VM staff to port the original number over manually. The usual method won't work as you don't have a signal anymore.

VM should have created 2 linked contracts, but the o2 contract didn't action from what you have described.

It's all one company now, VM O2, but the mobile side is managed by o2.

The o2 community is very helpful, and have guides to get people set up, but if you don't have a signal on the original number or an o2 account it isn't a typical situation.

That said, I am a VOLT customer like yourself and it's just my reading of your situation.

Let me know if the o2 set up guides would be useful.

roy247
Community elder

Hi Iher01,

When you renewed your contract Virgin should have issued a PAC code to transfer your mobile number to O2 so they could send you a O2 SIM with that number. They might have told you what the number was it would be something like VRG123456, if you have that it may help when you speak to O2, if you don't have the number you could give either Virgin or Virgin mobile a call and ask if a PAC code was generated, if it wasn't then more than likely the transfer wasn't processed.

On the day I was switched I received emails from O2 with my username, order details, contact details and O2 contact (phone) number, if you haven't received any of those then that's another indication that the switch either wasn't processed or not done correctly.

Yes I think it more down to a process broken but no-one has confirmed this from Virgin Media and after 5 calls i'm stuck in the same infinite loop of other departments blaming each other.

When i took out the contract back in 2020 they included a Virgin Mobile SIM in the contract which I transferred my number to with the PAC code I generated from my old provider. but that was clear to me as I had a temporary SIM with a temporary number with a clear option to import my number.

I just think the language used was that it was more of a process rather than moving from one provider to another and something has broken along the way as if I was given a temporary O2 SIM with a temp number with guidance on transfer of the number that would of meant i'd have to have both Virgin Mobile and the new O2 VOLT part of the subscription active until the transfer.

I contacted Virgin Mobile who have actioned the request to get the number back which takes 5 workings days but the other odd thing I've had to pay for a new contract with Virgin Mobile (who i was told were not taking on new contracts) as the new Virgin Media contract cancelled out the old SIM at the time of upgrade.

Virgin Mobile have indicated I need to speak to Virgin Media to get a new O2 SIM as part of the transfer but every time I call I get transferred back through to O2 as Virgin Media are unable to access any O2 details. O2 subsequently confirm they have no record of the contract that Virgin Media have setup, supposedly on my behalf. I asked the Virgin Media rep about login details to O@ website and they told me that my Virgin Media credentials should work on O2 but this is definitely not the case

If I look at my online account for Virgin Media it now says

"Volt Benefits

We’ve noticed you’ve left your O2 contract."

It's interesting you got an email from O2 I didn't get this which is why I think the upgrade of the broadband contract has cancelled the Virgin Mobile and not initiated the O2 SIM package at all.

The story goes on for the quest to get my number back and hopefully move get some form of contract sorted with O2.

I'm sure someone just needs to click the button "Raise order with O2" and that should fire all these processes into action.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey Iher01, thanks for joining our help forums and for reaching out about your issues. A warm welcome to our community. 🙂

We're sorry to hear of the experience you've had so far in regard to switching to a new Volt deal and the issues you've had with your O2 SIM and number so far.

We'd love to best help, our apologies for any confusion caused previously during this change to Volt and O2 mobile.

We've seen you contacted us after this post and spoke to our team about this.
Could you please let us know what was discussed and if you've resolved the issues with your SIM and number?

We'll be here to assist further with any issues or concerns you may have.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs