cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM Hub 5 please.

ChuckyTheory
Joining in

HelloVM, I am contacting you on here as you the telephone support directed me to a tech number that doesn't have any options for what I need. 

History - I took out the 1Gig package in September last year with the understanding I would receive a Hub asap, this hasn't happened despite me insisting it was added to the notes when signing up for this contract. 

If everything was okay I wouldn't mind but I do have issues with unstable packet loss only experienced by myself in games ( ie not my team mates ).  This is even when I'm the only person home using the internet.  I have also noticed that when other users are on the gaming experience is affected and this is why I want the Hub 5 I was insistent on when taking out this contract.

My hub has a 10db wideband attenuator fitted and my power levels are around 40 for downstream and 5.5 for upstream ( i think I have those the correct way around.  Would the 5.5 - 6 figure run better with a different attenuator to pull that down a little?  I was told 40 is a good target and also +1 for the upstream. I know it's below 10 but I am experiencing issues with unstable latency so I wondered about this as a possible cause. 

I was also told by technical support that there was an issue with the cable running to my house but after a visit he said it could be my old CAT 6 ethernet,  I replaced this with a CAT 8 (10m) and the issue hasn't been resolved.

Soooo to progress I'd like first to receive asap the Hub 5 to see if that finally fixes my issues including when others are streaming etc in my home.  My contract ends in September and I am unhappy VM hasn't sent me the Hub5 as promised when signing up.

Also I have a question about fibre cable to the premises,  are there plans to install this option in my area TS22 5?

Summary

1. Hub5, asap please.

2. Power levels ( possible better suited attenuator )

3. FFTP full fibre to premises TS22 5

4. Thanks for any help 🙂

8 REPLIES 8

Client62
Legend

"my power levels are around 40 for downstream and 5.5 for upstream"

Sure that is not SNR of 40 dB and a Power level of 5.5 dBmV both being good figures for the Downstream ?

If so the 10dB attenuator is fine.

"unstable packet loss"

If  the internet works fine in browsing & Youtube, the packet loss is not local to your end of the connection.

"I was also told by technical support that there was an issue with the cable running to my house but after a visit he said it could be my old CAT 6 ethernet, I replaced this with a CAT 8 (10m) and the issue hasn't been resolved."

Just let me reach over and turn off my poppycock alarm.

"unhappy VM hasn't sent me the Hub5"

Read about the Hub 5s issues with High failure rates / WiFi stability and compatibility defects / Failing DHCP servers / VOIP Ghost calls.

Be careful what you ask for.

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @ChuckyTheory 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I am sorry to hear of any service issues with the internet.

Have you got any documentation regarding the Hub 5 please? 

Can you post your Hub status and logs? How to do this;
• Please go to http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode), 
• Don't log in, click on 'router status' 
• Copy/paste the data from each of the tabs as text into a 'REPLY' as opposed to 'QUICK REPLY'. Please do not include your MAC address.
Also, set up a 'Broadband Quality Monitor'. This will monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts etc - You can do this at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality
Give it a while to gather data and then click 'Share Live graph' and paste the 'Direct Link' into the forum 🙂

In relation to FTTP, our target for all areas is 2028. See more here 👉 https://www.libertyglobal.com/virgin-media-o2-announces-2028-full-fibre-upgrade-plan/

Best wishes,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Are the hub 5’s any good I ordered 1 gig last week cancelled same day 2 days later I received a Hub 5.

Had an email yesterday saying it hasn’t been activated tried to activate today no good engineer coming tomorrow so are they any good?

HI John_GS,

I tried copy and paste but it wouldn't send without correcting errors,  I changed everything underlined in red and it still said the same.. anyway I've reached customer relations and I have an "senior" Engineer coming out Monday.  

I do have a question or two which you can still help me with.. On xbox Series X there is an option to QoS gaming packets,  does VM's DOCSIS recognise these and prioritise them or just ignore them?

No.2.. Are the optimum power levels still 40 and 0-3 for the down and upstream dbmv?  Mine are 40-41.5 and 5.5-6.5 ish. That's with a 10Db wideband attenuator fitted.  Can this be improved to help with gaming unstable packet loss?

Kind regards

Michael

Hi,  I don't know but they have ordered me one,  I guess it is more capable at handling multiple devices using a decent bit of bandwidth.

That's my hope anyway, 1gig wired and gaming is terrible at certain times.. smells of over utilisation to me. 

Hope yours is sorted.

Hi @ChuckyTheory 

Your power levels are all okay but do let us know how the visit goes so we can offer further support if required. 

Thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi, thanks for your reply.  Tom the engineer was great he understood that the power levels were only good due to the 10db attenuator, he moved my connection in the street box amplifier to reduce this,  it still required a 3db attenuator.  However this hasn't fixed anything gaming wise.. yes the speeds are as advertised but that isn't my issue,  it's unstable packet loss.  He had a HUB5in his van and offered me it until I mentioned I had one on order.. totally understandable... that hasn't arrived yet so hopefully when it arrives that'll fix my issues.. always the optimist eh? 

If i'm right the issue I'm experiencing and have been for many months is down 2to over utilisation ( due to the time these issues are manifesting OR my hub4 has an issue.

This needs to be fixed very soon,  I'll wait for the HUB5 and then I can either rule that out or fingers crossed perfect. 

Sick of it tbh, sorry to be so negative but gaming has halved my rank lately and it purely connection based.  Pay3k for a PC and what was the top internet package 1gig and it's a waste.

I've been a loyal COMCAST - NTL and Virgin customer throughout but unless this issue is sorted soon I'll have to explore elsewhere.

🙂

Also I have been given three different reasons why from three of Virgins team as to why and they all contradict each other,  I feel i am being fobbed off and I reckon it's over utilisation.

Rant over 🙂

Thanks for coming back to us ChuckyTheory. I have looked into this and cannot see any orders for a hub 5 to be sent out to you, I can arrange that from here but would need to confirm a few details via a private message, that I will drop over in a moment. Please look out for the private message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L