cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New package - can I cancel SIM part?

Golfer1957
Tuning in

I have just been given a new package that has 02 sim card and was told if i don't want it to cancel it, can i do this without any problems?

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

36 REPLIES 36

"i contacted them thru facebook and they cancelled mine in about 20 mins"

And is the relevant sim cost now removed from your VM bill?

Electronic Engineer by day. Also by night.

well i dont see it.

this is from FB

o2 sim cancel2.png

Hey there @fastboy, thanks for the post and sorry for the delayed response.

I'm assuming you have taken out a VOLT package which has an O2 SIM with it.
You can cancel the O2 SIM however that would affect the package price itself and the benefits (such as Wi-Fi pods etc) as they are part of the promotional offer.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

fastboy
On our wavelength

i didnt get any wifi pods or anything

i was within my 14 days and the o2 sim was not activated.

kevin1988
Dialled in

I was duped into the getting this sim deal also.  ended up throwing the towel in and cancelling the account completely with virgin,  complete nightmare of a company to deal with and o2 are as bad took several attempts to get through to cancel the sim. one person actually told me a bare face lie from that it takes 7 working days to cancel and to just cancel my direct debit!! I said I will not be doing that as this will effect my credit score. I ended up having to tweet them to cancel it.  

I will never use Virgin Media / O2 again as long as I live.   also the Virgin media watsapp team are economical with the truth being lied to about contract and still when I had the proof in the contract that was sent they still lied.  The 360 box,  hub 4 and pod is disconnected ready to go back.  I'm done 

Hi Matthew, 

You say here it is OK to cancel the sim from O2 yet I've been told that as I'm on the Ultimate Volt package, I have to keep an unlimited data sim with O2, I can't even downgrade it. 

Seems everyone is getting different answers to this. 

From what I am reading here in the posts that it might be time to report both 02 and virgin to watchdog. 

Thank you Golfer1957👌

I too have recently called the call centre to enquire about deleting add-ons I no longer use (in order to reduce the exhorbitant monthly fee) and ended up being offered the Volt 1 Gig package (including the ad-ons I was looking to delete) for £30 less p/month. On the basis this was a 'package' deal and I have no option to delete the add-ons I'd originally called up to remove I'm considering it because of the immediate £30 saving and 'super speed'  if:

- I can cancel my separate Netflix account as the standard version is now included in the new bundle from Virgin (another £16 p/month saving as on Premium Netflix bundle).

-Most importantly I can cancel the O2 unlimited data SIM that was part of the deal @ £25 p/month. I'm already an O2 customer (via Giff-gaff) and paying 50% less so it's of no use. Indeed, my entire family have SIM only deals with O2/G-g so Telefonica are already doing quite well from us.

As far as I can see this is a separate contract with O2 and if I cancel within the 14 day cooling off period all should be well i.e. the  Volt 1 Gig deal with Virgin itself shouldn't be affected?

HOWEVER, having read this thread it seems Virgin may think otherwise and might cause me issue on the core Volt product I was upsold. Has anyone successfully navigated the Netflix transfer (I'd be happy with standard Netflix) and cancelled the O2 SIM subscription they didn't want in first place?

Any guidence appreciated and I will be reporting back on my own  experience.

@kab1892 wrote:

Hi Matthew, 

You say here it is OK to cancel the sim from O2 yet I've been told that as I'm on the Ultimate Volt package, I have to keep an unlimited data sim with O2, I can't even downgrade it. 

Seems everyone is getting different answers to this. 

As per my thread I created about changing the sim on ultimate volt, I was told it was ok, then it was posted it wasn't ok.  I went ahead anyway and upgraded to a 3gb sim plus a new device totalling £25 a month.  I have had no correspondence from virgin about the change of sim, so I assume its all ok.  My new O2 package has been applied and I have the new device.

Thanks LoneSpeaker - so you upgraded and didn't have an issue with Virgin side of the contract but I'm intending to cancel O2 in it's entriety as the new SIM is  'surplus to requirements' . Hopefully, since they are two separate contracts - that's how they arrived anyway, albeit together - it should be ok to cancel one within 14 day cooling-off period, even if neither party likes it.  I note that new customers get a seriously better deal (no surprise there!) so I don't think this is not an unreasonable strategy for a 10 years + loyal Virgin customer who is regulalrly mucked around and gouged in return.