cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mis-sold O2 SIM with OOOmph upgrade

MattFord04
Joining in

Good evening all.  Does anyone have any experience of rectifying a mis-sold O2 sim card.  My OOmph contract was up in Jan 2022, I rang Virgin and they offered me the same deal again, but called Volt.  I was informed clearly on the phone that the ONLY change was the SIM data was with O2 and no longer unlimited, by 250GB, the price would remain the same at £89.00

To my surprise, I have now been signed up to a £27.00/month O2 sim.

The virgin Whatsapp team are pretty unhelpful, and I am requesting a recording of my phone call with virgin.  There is some dishonest practice at work and reading some of the comments, I dont seem to be the only person to have suffered from this horrid practice. I'm now stuck in the middle with "you need to contact O2 about this" and waiting for 2 hours on hold to the virgin customer services team.  

Does anyone have any guidance or suggestions for this?

Kind regards

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Smoggie1
Tuning in

Following on from my post earlier I called O2 on 0344 809 0202 chose the option “thinking of leaving us” and was connected to a real person in less than a minute. As I started to explain that I’d received a SIM card and a bill he asked “was i with VM Volt”. So I think they’re getting annoyed people in the same position as us contacting them about this. He, Dave, was very helpful and said “no problem, he can resolve this for me”. Brilliant, stress levels down now, I hate being had-over by big companies.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

72 REPLIES 72

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Volt is Virgin Broadband and an O2 SIM

You say the mentioned the SIM data would be O2. You have to have an O2 SIM for that to happen as Virgin Mobile and O2 run as two separate entities

Migh be worth reading this

https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-o2

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks.

Virgin sent me a new SIM card through which was fine.  The issue was they said with the special offer and loyalty package to stop me from leaving that this was all inclusive within the package, at no point did they inform me on the phone that the SIM card was billed extra.  I am trying to get in touch with virgin to request a copy of the telephone call.

Thanks

Matt

Hi @MattFord04

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community.

I am very sorry for any conflicting or incorrect information that may have been received on the call.

The O2 SIM cost isn't included within the Virgin Media monthly service charge, it is a separate bill from O2. 

You would be entitled to extra data with O2 and a free speed boost with us under the Volt offer, however there would be a monthly cost for the O2 SIM.

I would recommend contacting O2 direct please to cancel the SIM card if you do not wish to proceed with that price. We unfortunately can't cancel any O2 Sims here. 

Again I am so sorry if this wasn't clearly explained on the call and for any inconvenience this has caused. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

a bit of a round robin answer and little help from VM - from what you say this was all set up by VM - correct me if i have that wrong but it really matters not who told the porkies - your legal position is clear - VM or O2 or both must honour what was offered - there are few ifs or buts to that - the offer must be reasonable and it matters not if its verbal or written 

you are not the 1st this has happened to and from the posts that stack up you will not be the last - VM offshore agents do not tell the whole story - call that a lie if you want but they are caught again and again as is shown on here - say one thing to get you to stay then send a completly different deal - not sure how they think they can get away with it and the mess then lands on here or CISAS

so @Vikki_M are you telling the OP to go to CISAS as you are washing your hands of it - if it was set up and sold by VM then its VM's mess

to @MattFord04 go through the stages - push for what you were offered no less - no compromise - if you dont get it ask for a deadlock letter and go to CISAS - not quick but you should get the deal and whilst you are filling in the paper work add a hundred or two pounds compensation for stress - time wasted etc 

serach for posts from @Andrew-G who has outlined many times the process 

back to you @Vikki_M - the customer is in the right - you can sort it or not

Tony.
Sacked VIP

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Oh; and that O2 SIM. The price with rise by inflation plus 3.9% each April. They never tell the customer that either.

Do you really want an unlimited data SIM? Volt works just as well on the cheapest pay monthly SIM O2 offer.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@enlli @-tony- good calls both.

Something else to factor in is that O2 sim only pricing is (intentionally) at the top of the market.  So my SIM only 30 day 20GB plan is £8 a month with ID Mobile, an O2 5GB plan on 30 day terms is £23 a month, albeit Volt data doubles that to 10 GB.  One other thing to chuck is what price rise EXISTING mobile T&Cs allow for.  I'm on a legacy contract which doesn't have any annual price rise baked in, so that's another reason for me not to swap.

If you're with O2 for other good reasons, such as signal strength, other discounts, or if you can utilise a more competitive 24 month contract or handset deal, then Volt can be a fab offer. 

In my case I'd have to pay an extra £180 a year, have less mobile data, and get whacked for a further £23 annual increase next April, so the VM side of the Volt benefits look a bit scant from where I stand.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I won't say how I did it but my O2 deal is the same as your ID Mobile with, of course, 40Gb as a Volt Customer. £8 for that and a speed boost seemed good for me.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I think that plays to my argument - if you can get the O2 headline price back to something competitive, then Volt can be a no-brainer.  It's also financially a no-brainer for O2 customers who aren't currently with VM, so qualify for VM's cheap new customer deals.

Funny to see though, in your case O2 offering better deals than to new customers, the reverse of VM's practice.

Smoggie1
Tuning in

Yes I have been mis-sold an O2 SIM card when I upgraded to Volt. VM sales contacted me to upgrade my tv & broadband package, the phone call lasted 40 minutes as I asked the guy many questions, some answers he could not give! I did tell him that we didn’t want the sim as we’re happy with our current mobile network provider and he said you don’t need to use it just put it away in a drawer. At no point during the whole call did he mention that I would be billed monthly by O2.

The SIM card arrived yesterday morning as did the email from O2 to say we had been billed £10 as of yesterday. So that’s another cost on top of the VM monthly payments. Utterly disgraceful.