Menu
klf3
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

YourTV Picture Size.

Hello all.

For some reason, yourtv (channel 218) is being broadcast in a reduced size. The aspect ratio is still correct, but it now has large black bars all around the picture. 

I've checked the channel on Freeview and it's full size on that platform, so it's a particular issue with Virgin.

Anyone else have this problem ?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: YourTV Picture Size.

I have checked the Astra satellite feed which VM uses & this is also ok, so it looks like an encoding issue down at the MHE in Langley.

VM are in the process of changing all SD channels to MPEG4 compression, so this may be a side effect of the changeover.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
klf3
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply and info. I checked the V6 box system info and diagnostics and it's still showing video as MPEG2 via all tuners.
How else can I check whether a) the change to MPEG4 is actually happening to myself or b) it this is not the case, what's causing this anomaly with yourtv ?
I've also checked yourtv via my old Youview box and again, it's being displayed properly.
Look forward to hearing from you in due course.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@klf3 wrote:
Thanks for the reply and info. I checked the V6 box system info and diagnostics and it's still showing video as MPEG2 via all tuners.
How else can I check whether a) the change to MPEG4 is actually happening to myself or b) it this is not the case, what's causing this anomaly with yourtv ?
I've also checked yourtv via my old Youview box and again, it's being displayed properly.
Look forward to hearing from you in due course.

The changeover happens at the MHE (Master Headend) not at the regional headends. The latest scan shows the switchover has already happened so the stream is now MPEG4:

http://www.en.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?mux=C061&pid=223&sec=0&live=209&lang=en&af=1

PS It is easy to misread the stream info on the box diags page. The audio remains on MPEG2, but the Video stream is now H.264, which is MPEG 4 compression.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

klf3
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again for the prompt reply. Visually checked all the other channels on the same multiplex and they are displaying correctly. Your snapshot of yourtv has left me completely flummoxed !

However, your last comment may hold a clue. Tuners 0 to 4 are all showing  Audio - MPEG1 / Video - MPEG2, with only Tuner 5 showing Audio - AC3 / Video - H.264.

Should my box be showing MPEG2 / H.264 for Audio / Video for all the tuners, or do I have a problem with either the box, or the supplied service from Virgin ?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@klf3 wrote:

Thanks again for the prompt reply. Visually checked all the other channels on the same multiplex and they are displaying correctly. Your snapshot of yourtv has left me completely flummoxed !

However, your last comment may hold a clue. Tuners 0 to 4 are all showing  Audio - MPEG1 / Video - MPEG2, with only Tuner 5 showing Audio - AC3 / Video - H.264.

Should my box be showing MPEG2 / H.264 for Audio / Video for all the tuners, or do I have a problem with either the box, or the supplied service from Virgin ?

If you have set your box up for Dolby Digital it will decode AC3 audio if it available. My box is set Dolby to PCM, so picks up the MPEG2 audio instead. This is certainly not your issue.

The issue with the picture is at VMs end. I have it too, & if you look at the still frame capture in the page I linked above you will see the same there.

Use Kudos to say thanks

klf3
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again. Any idea when it might be fixed  ?

0 Kudos