Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 11 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: More HD channel swaps for BBC channels next week

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

I don't know what you mean as all 10 Sky Sports channels broadcast by VM are in both SD and HD.

My guess is he means that you have to pay a premium to get the Sky Sports HD channels

Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 12 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Well, if someone want HD badly enough they'll stump up the £7pm for the Sky Sports HD Pack.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Super solver
Message 13 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

Well, if someone want HD badly enough they'll stump up the £7pm for the Sky Sports HD Pack.

They don't have to on satellite.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 14 of 20
Flag for a moderator

People like us in VM areas are lucky to have a choice in getting Sky Sports on cable, satellite and IPTV (to a lesser extent until BT's subscribers get all channels later this year). We therefore have the luxury of deciding what we want to watch and how much we are prepared to pay for it.

--
0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Super solver
Message 15 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

People like us in VM areas are lucky to have a choice in getting Sky Sports on cable, satellite and IPTV (to a lesser extent until BT's subscribers get all channels later this year). We therefore have the luxury of deciding what we want to watch and how much we are prepared to pay for it.

Wouldn't call it a luxury.  SD/HD/4K is a lucky dip with sport.  Sometimes HD/4K is the only option (BT Sport), sometimes it isn't (Sky/Eurosport) and sometimes the channel can't make up their mind one way or the other (Premier Sports, 1 in HD, 2 in SD).

Best deal I got recently is Now TV for £1/month until end of football season and another week free at some point via playstation plus.  And with the picture at 720p a bit sharper than VM.  Now if only they could fix the frame rate.  

Still good news, looking at the football TV games announced today, BT Sport have nothing I want to watch from 3rd March onwards, so was worth cancelling at the start of February.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 16 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@arrgee1991 wrote:

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

True. But Sky hiked all the prices so you paid more whether you wanted HD or not.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
Highlighted
arrgee1991
Super solver
Message 17 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:

@arrgee1991 wrote:

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

True. But Sky hiked all the prices so you paid more whether you wanted HD or not.

That isn't necessarily down to HD as Sky most likely would have increased the prices regardless.   The prices for much of the Sky offering is going up in April except for Sports. When Virgin increase the price of Sky Sports they will make HD standard in the same manner.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 18 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@arrgee1991 wrote:

@nodrogd wrote:

@arrgee1991 wrote:

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

That isn't necessarily down to HD as Sky most likely would have increased the prices regardless.   The prices for much of the Sky offering is going up in April except for Sports. When Virgin increase the price of Sky Sports they will make HD standard in the same manner.

Then I will ask the obvious question (which probably won’t get officially answered as it is commercially sensitive). Is the HD supplement part of Sky’s current premium resale agreement with Virgin? I have been told by staff yonks ago that VM sees no money from the supplement, it goes straight into Sky’s pockets. The HD charge was only dropped from Sky Movies when it was completely overhauled & became Sky Cinema.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Super solver
Message 19 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:

Then I will ask the obvious question (which probably won’t get officially answered as it is commercially sensitive). Is the HD supplement part of Sky’s current premium resale agreement with Virgin? I have been told by staff yonks ago that VM sees no money from the supplement, it goes straight into Sky’s pockets. The HD charge was only dropped from Sky Movies when it was completely overhauled & became Sky Cinema.

I have read a lot on the forum that says Virgin makes no money from the Sky channels, but I don't believe that is true.  I often get calls and emails with offers of half price Sky Sports and Sky Cinema which would be commercial suicide as Virgin would be paying me to have the channels along with all the marketing costs. 

I don't know the details of any agreement, but I suspect it is tiered based on number of subscribers and anything above a threshold is pure profit hence the cut price offers.  I'm not sure why Sky would have a separate per subscriber agreement with Virgin on HD.  Virgin must make some profit on it otherwise why bother apart from reducing churn for those whom HD is non-negotiable and are likely to have higher ARPU.

Still as we head in to the twenties in this century and HD is everywhere, it is odd that there is a HD supplement for Sky when every other provider has it as standard. Maybe a 4K supplement would be justifiable, but BT Sport include that as standard.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 20 of 20
Flag for a moderator

BT TV subscribers can get the Sky Sports Main Event bolt-on for £30pm (SD) or £36pm (HD). As Sky is in such a strong position it could be that both VM and BT had to come to a similar agreement to pay more to Sky for HD.

--
0 Kudos