Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 91 of 122
Flag for a moderator

Re: Free TiVo box upgrade letter

From the letter I received it said a free upgrade tivo box,I actually had to order mine over the phone,link worked but i was confused regarding  a question when ordering, the hub had to be in the same room as the box? I have signed into my virgin media account and it states they have ordered a v6 box?? Will see what i get

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 92 of 122
Flag for a moderator

Engineer has been and fitted my v6 box,he was a very helpful and pleasant man.I will be telephoning  virgin tomorrow though,I had to order the upgrade over the phone,l was assured I wouldn't be charged the 30 quid,even though I did say that there is a charge.i was also told an engineer had to come out as my hub is in another room and I could not just have it delivered. Why are they charging this cost ?when I didn't have a choice in the upgrade or to fit it myself!!!I know the charge has already been applied to my account.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 93 of 122
Flag for a moderator

Update,telephoned virgins Bill's snd payments dept this morning, as per previous post I explained that I was told I would not be charged for the engineer to come out and that I have had an email stating 30 pounds will  be added to my next bill! Quote " it has already been credited back  to your account.ive had no email stating the credit,and the saga continues until my next bill is due.Not holding out much hope of that happening 

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 94 of 122
Flag for a moderator

Likewise, my hub is not near the television and VM told me that if the WIFI connection is not strong enough (I already have a booster but the signal often fails) an engineer must come and fix it. Did your enigineer boost the signal on your hub or trail a cable around your house? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 95 of 122
Flag for a moderator

No cables,engineer said it will be wifi,I'm not sure whether he boosted the signal,I presume he must have checked the signal.Have you been told that it will all be free?or did vm mention the 30 quid fee!!!I personally think it is totally unacceptable that they can charge you.Have you got a date for the engineer?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 96 of 122
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying.

Didn't really get an anser on the charge. He felt  that as I have a booster it would work okay although I pointed out that it is not a reliable signal as it sometimes drops as low as 1mbs. We agreed that I would pick it up from the supermarket (due yesterday but have heard nothing.....) and see if it works. If not, then I should call an engineer. I said I would call them as having a fault. 

I already have a TIVO box downstairs - the plug-in type and as there is a slightly better signal there I am wondering whehter I could just use the new box downstairs and plug the old TIVO in upstairs. 

VM should get no thanks from its customers for not sending out a letter that explains that the box that  they are forcing on us is WIFI only and how any problems could be overcome.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 97 of 122
Flag for a moderator

You can swap the boxes over,  it should just work 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 98 of 122
Flag for a moderator

@ElephantsGerald wrote:

VM should get no thanks from its customers for not sending out a letter that explains that the box that  they are forcing on us is WIFI only and how any problems could be overcome.

It isnt wifi only - in fact it connects better on a Cat5e/6 ethernet cable - 50 metre runs of which cost less than a tenner.  Powerline adapters can also "usually" be used if you dont have the will to hide the cable.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 99 of 122
Flag for a moderator

Personally I do not want metres of cabling running the distance it would need to in my house

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 100 of 122
Flag for a moderator

Then improve your wifi signal at the V6 or try powerline adapters - albeit ethernet cabling reigns supreme.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos