Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Free TV scam

I found out about a free 32" Toshiba smart TV deal with any bundle via a flyer through the post - I called the Virgin media sales team and they advised me the deal was still active and they had TV's in stock and I would receive one within 28 days if I made the order then and there over the phone with them. I wanted a bit more time to think but they were particularly pushy and told me if I ordered online then I wouldn't get the TV deal, it had to be with THEM. 

Fast forward a few months... no TV. I called up and they advised me they had NO RECORD of me ever being promised a television! I wasn't getting anywhere so I left it. I wonder how many other people 'just left it'? Well, I called back yesterday after reading online other people seem to have had the same issue - after about an hour and a half of going round in circles to an international call centre I'm being told simply "We don't owe you a TV" they have no record of the deal ever EXISTING and no evidence of the conversation I had with a phone operator who assured me the TV would be with me in 28 days. 

I honestly can't believe a company like Virgin can get away with this, its not even about the TV anymore its about the principle, I signed up to Virgin on COMPLETE false pretences and only got a 'bundle' (which I never use) because of the free gift, which appears to be a fabrication.

Has anyone else been a victim to this VIRGIN MEDIA SCAM??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Free TV scam

Hi unfortunately salespeople will say anything to to get you to sign up, usually these sort of offers are on line only that way you have a record of it. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Seems you're not the only one:

Regarding "no record of your conversation", read this

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

the offer would also be listed on your contract but i don't understand getting a contract for something you don't want just for a free gift.

you can get a 32" smart TV for £200 so unless your 18 month contract was only £11/mointh you are laying way more then the tv was worth

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

At the time, I was in the market for a television set, and naively thought it was a good deal - the whole point of the promotion is to feed the consumer response of shiny free things = good deal. I've since bought my own TV, and can honestly say in the 12 month period of owning the 'full house' bundle I've watched about 2 channels, its a service I thought I wanted but clearly have no requirement for - yes, I am a sucker, I fell for a marketing scam, shame on me

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax

the offer would also be listed on your contract but i don't understand getting a contract for something you don't want just for a free gift.

you can get a 32" smart TV for £200 so unless your 18 month contract was only £11/mointh you are laying way more then the tv was worth

So glad I read this post as I was just about to say the same thing Why would you sign up for a 12 month contract simply to get a free 32 inch Tv when you could pick one up for a lot less than what you will pay for a service you did not really need or want.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for taking time out of your clearly busy day to reply to my message. If you see my post above hopefully this will answer your question.

0 Kudos