Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 11 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: FTTP Installation Procedure

Will have to see on the installation date but the engineer who carried out the site survey was very specific. He told me the fibre would be blown in from the street cabinet and a new larger external wall box installed that houses the Vector unit that converts the fibre light signal to RF for the internal coax too the modem and set top boxes

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 12 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Sounds very odd as you have existing coax. Do your neighbours have virgin? If so are they on coax or fttp?

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 13 of 22
Flag for a moderator

This is what I signed up for when I ordered the Oomph bundle 

M500 Fibre Broadband

Maxit TV

Talk More Anytime

Oomph Unlimited Data Sim

Virgin Phone Line

The on line checker say's it's available I'll be more than happy to PM you my post code

The on line chat agent confirmed that fibre had to be installed when I asked why I couldn't self install 

And the site survey engineer confirmed fibre would be installed and that the Telephone line would be VOIP

I'll be more than happy to PM you my post code

I have never been a VM subscriber up until now and VM has not been connected at the property for 3 1/2yrs even though the cable and terminals are in place

The Install is scheduled for the 28th so I'll let you know what happens in a couple of days time

Keeping my fingers crossed now Won't be happy if VM are telling porkies

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 14 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Please do keep us posted. The only explanation i can think of is that the hfc coax network was layed in your area but never used, and now your area has been released as a new 'lightning' area which will be fttp. Good luck for the 28th, hope all goes smoothlySmiley Happy

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 15 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Had Virgin installed on the day. Not 100% sure what I got defiantly not FTTP more like FTTC is how the engineer explained it 

But getting download speeds of 536.50Mbps and uploads of 33.17Mbps and pinging at 7ms

And my Netgear R7000 router is working fine with it's built in VPN Client

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 16 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Glad to hear it went ok. Fttc is the hfc coax network. The coax cable you already has is the one thats being used i assume, so quite why you were told you needed fibre blowing for fttp is beyond me. But like i said, glad its all in an working.

Highlighted
Superstar
Message 17 of 22
Flag for a moderator

If you have FTTP you'll have a power cable inside your house running to the internal termination box. If it isn't there then you were told a lot of nonsense and you have the traditional coax cable.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 18 of 22
Flag for a moderator

No it's defiantly normal coax I was there when the engineer installed the boxes I'm pretty **bleep** as It cost £100 to have a spur socket installed in the loft where the cable enters the house to power the non existent Vector fibre coax interface

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 19 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@Shweby wrote:

Coax cable can deliver both broadband and tv, thats how the majority of the vm network works. Fttp has only been available for a short time and only in newly cabled lightning areas. However, a fttp street cab and an hfc (coax) cab work completely different and you cant run fttp from an hfc cab and visa versa, so slightly confused as to why you think you would have fttp if you already have coax to your house. Virgin are not replacing the hfc coax network with fttp.

I wouldn’t be too sure you can’t mix the two. A few streets from me in an existing HFC build, a small cul-de-sac with around 12 houses has been micro-trenched & the houses are obviously fibre served. This connects directly to an HFC cabinet in the next road. Whether the fibre kit is in this cabinet is debatable as there is no power supply to it, so it may be the fibre connection carries on to the node cabinet further away.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 20 of 22
Flag for a moderator

You cant mix the 2, a hfc cab has a amplifier which powers it, an fttp cab has no amp and is powered by a power passing splitter in the ETB on the customers house. You can however have an area where hfc and fttp overlap ie one half of an area is hfc, and the other half has been newly cabled and is fttp. For reference im not just guessing here, im an an engineer. Not saying your questioning me, im happy to give info. But if someone wants to question advice i give on here then i suggest they come out in my van with me for a day so they can be given correct info.