Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Extra Box Coaxial Cable - Removal

Hi,

We used to have an additional box in my sons room, but have since removed it since he doesnt watch it any more.

We are now left with the coaxial (white) cable.. If i trace this cable, and find out where its coming from (either a splitter, or strait to brown box).. can i remove it? If its a splitter, will there be noise on the network with the splitter being open one end?

Thanks

Robbie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extra Box Coaxial Cable - Removal

Morning Robbie

Virgin media wouldn't advise you to trace a cable/splitter and remove it, or even go in the brown box outside. Even tho your right about chance of noise, if it was causing major issue the network team would pick up on it, trace to your house and fix problem or arrange an engineer visit. 

Stay safe many thanks Ant 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Marco here from virgin media, field technician working from home at these difficult times. Definitely trace that cable back to the spliter"internal".  Or brown box external. Regarding noise by removing white cable l, i would cap it off. Or remove spliter completely, and connect if only using broadband straight to the back of router. But we would need to check if levels and router would be in spec. 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Also as it stands it would be advisable for an experienced tech to carry out these works in the property, but in these difficult times I'm sure you could wait and leave it as it is and wait until we can come round.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The best thing for you to do if possible is leave extra box attached to cable. Just switch it off. 

If the services in your house are working fine leave well along. Nothing will change. 

0 Kudos