Menu
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 11 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC ONE - poor sound quality

HI mjkerr, can you confirm if you are still having issues with this or has things improved since Saturday, does a reboot help at all? Can you ensure that all cables are secure ^Chris

0 Kudos
newapollo
Superstar
Message 12 of 23
Flag for a moderator

My BBC One HD and BBC News HD all seem to be of lower volume over the past 2 or 3 weeks.

Looking at various forums the poor BBC One sound quality has been remarked upon as an issue on VM, Freeview and Freesat over the past week/ ten days. A lot of people have remarked that the sound problems mainly occur on news and live programs. Some are questioning if it's connected to the microphones the presenters are using. Looking at the posts it seems to be more noticable in Scotland.

Some of the quotes:-

Is anyone else getting a 'tinny' fuzzy background sound, on BBC 1 HD audio? I noticed it on the 6 O' clock news, the BBC local news, and The One Show, a sort of tinny sibilance, similar to listening to an earphone from a distance. Could it be due to those lapel microphones they're using?

I did notice a few slight hiccoughs in the sound during the lunchtime news on BBC1 SD, but I thought my PVR might have been responsible.

I've been hearing dodgy sound on BBC1 Scotland HD since last Wed/Thu!? Are you in Scotland?

Yes, I am. At first I thought was just my ears, but I remember thinking a few days before that, that BBC1 Scotland HD was sounding a wee bit fuzzy.

I tried to compare it to BBC1 Scotland SD, and that sounded okay, as did the BBC News channel. I wasn't sure about BBC2 England - they had some celebrity programme joyriding around the countryside with radio mikes clipped to their clothes, so that was inconclusive.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
mjkerr
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 23
Flag for a moderator

No different
Previously advised to perform reboot, no change
I have switched off the TiVo for 24 hours, switched on, no change

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 14 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Evening Mjkerr, 

Sorry for the delay in us responding to you. 

Has this been sorted since your post, or have the team assisted via text message?

Let us know. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
mjkerr
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 23
Flag for a moderator

After three weeks, this issue has returned again
However, this time it is even worse
It is so bad I cannot watch BBC ONE HD (Channel 101)
Swap to BBC NEWS HD (Channel 601), no issue there

0 Kudos
sandman112
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 23
Flag for a moderator

As already mentioned this issue has returned again today, currently watch bbc one Scotland HD  and the sound is tinny and rattly if that makes sense like something vibrating on a speaker ...and no it's not my speaker

watching lunch time covid update programme

Also can some pm me about my package asked on here last week to remove kids pack but it's still on my last bill and I've now been charged for this for 3 months as it's almost impossible to cancel these things

Edit

Made short video of issue, you can here the buzz / rattle in this, it's only just obvious in this video, it's much worse in real life

https://youtu.be/VU8-nMTLi38

bazrowe
Settling in
Message 17 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Just noticed this yesterday on BBC One and Scotland HD. It only exists on Virgin Media. On iPlayer live and Digital TV Broadcast the sound is fine. Thanks for posting as I thought I was going mad and resetting my systems in case it was something else. It is really noticeable on News, Live broadcasts, and gameshows. Virgin Media PLEASE SORT THIS OUT!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
baldiepete
Tuning in
Message 18 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Since yesterday I’m getting this again on BBC1 Scotland HD (channel 101). Currently on BBC1 Scotland SD (channel 862) and it seems to be OK there. 

0 Kudos
wattie1966
Joining in
Message 19 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I am having the same issue.  A tinny buzz on bbc1 hd. Doesn’t happen on any other channel nor on bbc1 Scotland sd for the same programme so not my sound bar.

Doesn’t need to be high volume and is very annoying. 

0 Kudos
jaydubya
Joining in
Message 20 of 23
Flag for a moderator

It is VERY annoying. I've been trying to find the cause for the last few weeks but this all ties in with my experience too. It is only BBC1 Scotland HD. It is the news shows and Pointless that seem to be the worst for it....which is unfathomable. I have used an optical link to play the sound through my hi and speakers but that doesn't help so it's nothing to do with the TV speakers.
Is anyone from Virgin doing anything about this???
0 Kudos