cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no green lights on my Tivo V6 remote

korkyclown
Joining in

I cannot get my remote controller back to RF. It is stuck in IR and will not pair with my TIVO box

Any ideas.... I have tried TV + Clear but still on get a red light on the remote.

15 REPLIES 15

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It goes red in RF mode and IR mode

The V6 remote works in both RF primarily to the V6 box and tends to use IR mode to control your TV.

If your remote controls your V6 box then it is more than likely using the RF mode and does not need pairing.

If your V6 remote is not changing the volume and sending/taking your TV out of standby, then it may not be set up correctly.

To setup the remote to work with your TV

1. Make sure your TV and your Virgin TV V6 box are switched on
2. Find your make of TV and the 4 digit code(s) that match it here. If there‘s more than one code for your TV make, try the codes in the order listed, its a good ides to make sure that this open in a new tab/window https://assets.virginmedia.com/help/assets/documents/vm-tivo-code-list2012.pdf
3. Press and hold down Clear and TV at the same time, until the light on the top of the remote flashes green twice
4. Enter the four digit code for your TV's make from the list. The LED should then flash green twice. This shows you’ve entered a valid code
5. Press Volume Up / Down and Mute to check that the remote is working. If not, repeat the steps above using a different code for your TV from the list
6. Once you’ve programmed your remote you’ll notice that the light on the top will flash green instead of red when using it for volume and mute control

The remote can only store one device code type at a time, so you can’t control more than one TV, unless each TV works with the same code.

You can't learn anything from a mistake until you admit that you've made it.

Agreed but it should go green when pairing and it doesn't

I can't get it to pair with the TIVO V6. It will not go into setup mode nor will it allow me to reset it. There are no yellow or green lights only the red one. My other controller on the other Tivo V6 box works just fine so I know the steps to get it to pair. I just wondered if there was a knack to "completely" reset the controller and switch it back into RF mode.

Louise_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi korkyclown,

Thank you for taking the time to post in the community.

I'm sorry to hear you are having some trouble pairing up the remote with the V6 box. I just wanted to check if the remote control is working at all to change the channels? Have you tried to take the batteries out and replace them?

If it is not changing the channels then it will need to be paired but best to check if it already is paired by following the below:

1. On the front of your Virgin TV V6 Press and hold the Channel Plus button until you hear a bleeping sound coming from the remote control. That sound confirms the V6 is paired.
2. If you hear nothing, but have more than 1 Virgin TV V6 in the property then try the same process on the other V6 in case the remote has been paired to it.

Getting your Virgin TV V6 STB into pairing mode
1. Press the Channel minus button on the front of your Virgin TV V6 box for 10 seconds
2. The Power light will go Off and On. After the light comes back on the V6, it will be ready to pair with the remote control

Pairing Mode remains active on the Virgin TV V6 for 5 minutes allowing you to try the remote instructions again if unsuccessful on the first attempt.

Getting the Remote into Pairing Mode
1. Hold the Info button down on the remote for 7 seconds until the light on the top of the remote goes green
2. Press any key on the remote and if pairing is successful you will see the light flash GREEN Twice
To confirm if pairing was successful Press and hold the channel plus button on the front of your Virgin TV V6 until you hear a bleeping sound coming from the remote control.

If it will not pair with the box at all after this then we can arrange a replacement control for you, just let me know how it goes.

You have advised in your post you are pressing TV and Clear, this  is used for being able to use the Virgin control to do the Volume and the power of the TV. These buttons would need to be held down together at the same time for up to 10 seconds before you see the Green light flash twice and then you would need to enter in the 4 digit code for you make of TV and follow the instructions that michaeldavis has sent you.

Please come back if you have any further issues with this.

Take care,

Louise

Forum Team

New around here? Find out more about the Community by checking our "Getting started guide"

Sorry to revive this thread but we have the same issue with one of our V6 remotes. When I try and set the volume code by holding down clear + tv it only flashes red, it's the same if I try and pair it with the V6 box, if I hold down info then it only stays and flashes red. This remote was paired and it did control the TV volume previously.

Can I reset the remote or is it faulty? I can't find an answer anywhere and this thread is the only one I've found with the same issue.

Pairing is different to setting your handset to control basic functions of your TV.

Controlling the basic functions of your TV
1. Make sure your TV and your Virgin TV V6 box are switched on
2. Find your make of TV and the 4 digit code(s) that match it here. If there‘s more than one code for your TV make, try the codes in the order listed, its a good ides to make sure that this open in a new tab/window https://assets.virginmedia.com/help/assets/documents/vm-tivo-code-list2012.pdf
3. Press and hold down Clear and TV at the same time, until the light on the top of the remote flashes green twice
4. Enter the four digit code for your TV's make from the list. The LED should then flash green twice. This shows you’ve entered a valid code
5. Press Volume Up / Down and Mute to check that the remote is working. If not, repeat the steps above using a different code for your TV from the list
6. Once you’ve programmed your remote you’ll notice that the light on the top will flash green instead of red when using it for volume and mute control

To pair the remote to your V6 box :
Press Home
Help & Settings
Settings
Devices
Remote Control Pairing and follow the instructions.

You can't learn anything from a mistake until you admit that you've made it.

I am having the same issue.

All instructions I have followed from the virgin website say the light on the controller will go green and it NEVER does.

Even the instruction on the box under settings say if the light goes red you will need to try again!

My controller is working via IR only, if I cover the IR it wont change the channel or anything on the v6 box!

Roxie_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello there,

Thanks for reaching out about your controller. Since you've already done all the basic troubleshooting steps provided above and from the website, possibly the remote itself is at fault and may require replacement. How is the status of your controller so far since your last post? Let me know so we can further help.

Roxie_G