Menu
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

current cost of tivo to V6 swap out ?

I know there was a brief moment of madness in early 2018 when VM offered free upgrades, but that is long gone - 

in the last 18 months have there been ANY such offers or sales deals , or is the swap out cost very stable at current levels- which I think is £120 upfront and about £5 per month ongoing ?

that's not something I really want to have to pay, so I am wondering how much patience will be needed for a better deal to come along ?

i think I read somewhere that the alternative strategy of waiting for the tivo to die and getting a free V6 replacement is not viable either - you would be given another tivo

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: current cost of tivo to V6 swap out ?

When I agreed a new contract in August 2017 (VIVID 200, Full House TV and landline) I asked for a V6 (I had a TiVo) which I got without quibble. It costs nothing to ask on a contract renewal.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

i asked in may when I spoke to retentions about my deal ( there will be a thread somewhere) but no joy, it was £5 pm extra and £100+. they offered to waive part of the upfront charge but that was all

By renewing in May this year i may have dodged the upcoming september annual increases ( leastwaye I have not had a letter, just read the newspaper coverage) but if they do impose one I could ask again then

to extend sky tv to lounge instead is also silly money, just for plugging stuff in. we have a 1Tb sky Q upstairs, but to be able to add a mini box downstairs it is £95 upfront , an engineer visit, and a swap out of the 1tb to a 2Tb main q box. Then an extra £13 pm for multi room Self install is not allowed. and then an arugment with the  engineer about how we don't want to use sky wifi because it might  not play nice with VM and because we already have internet cabled to where it needs to go

another downside of that is that the sky mini boxes don't do 4K

We don't have 4k tv yet but planning ahead... we cant have the sky dish wired into lounge as it's a logistic nightmare. The VM cable for tv has to come on a long and winding route across front of house, through boiler cupboard, side step around the hall and in through another internal wall to reach the TV.

but  I have  an ethernet switch wired to behind the TV so it would be very easy to connect a v6. to that and to the tivo cable

probably I will day whole idea again, there is still not a lot of 4K on tv anyway, excluding expensive sports channels? and 4k netflix etc can be done with onboard smart tv apps

also, last time i looked, neither service has a way of copying old recordings onto a new box or backing them up to anything

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

'also, last time i looked, neither service has a way of copying old recordings onto a new box or backing them up to anything'

because tv companies and programme makers don't want people to have infinite copies of their shows. they want you to buy the blue ray/dvd, subscribe to netflix, amazon etc at a later date where they can make more money out of you.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Depending on what you watch the new agreement between VM and Sky will bring more Sky content on both HD and UHD, and will no doubt encourage some people to move away from Sky to VM - quite possibly when that 4K TV is bought.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos