Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

YouTube & kids

Has anyone managed to find a way how to block or remove YouTube including the app. 

I’ve searched, asked engineers and customers services.  I honestly can not believe there is no way to remove or block this.

Whats the point of parental control and the whole promoting of child online safety when unable to remove the very thing that goes against that.

Doubt the swear words I heard from a kids YouTube channel would be allowed to be banned around on forum amongst adults yet seems perfectly acceptable from a Virgin media service where children are present.

Defeats the whole point on having restrictions for my child on PC, where I have blocked YouTube completely.

The whole having to hide the remote every time I leave the room is epic fail.

Any suggestions or do I need to take this to Ofcom? Or the likes

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: YouTube & kids

Ofcom has nowt to do with your kids.

Do what we do, empower educate and support. In the internet age the V6 YouTube app is pretty much the least of your worries.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I'm just a random passer-by, I do not know the answer to the question you asked, but a lightly related and maybe helpful thing:

You can put the YouTube app on the v6 into restricted mode. The left-hand column of icons has a settings cog near the bottom, within that you can choose restricted mode and toggle it on. I appreciate that's a long way from ideal, but I never tried to disable an app so its all I've got 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

OFCOM do not deal with individual enquiries from the public.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Kippies

My 7year old has difficulty grasping the world is not always a nice place and just believes I meanest mum.  

Despite mine and even schools effort (some schools having sent letters out) about Roblox my child doesn’t grasp reasons as their friends are still allowed to play it.    It’s simply easier for time being just to block them until they reach an age of understanding like my eldest.

My child is aware of rules ie crossing roads and quite capable of going to school alone yet still doesn’t mean I’m going to empower them yet.

Youtube is biggest worry whilst I at home because some of the things that have been watched that are not appropriate for children.  Children like to chitter chatter in classroom, you think a teacher not going to question hearing something inappropriate a child saying.

ofcom was a mere suggestion I have no idea as yet who I can take it up with. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mane for suggestion, I have tried that but still videos still manage to bypass that.

Just yesterday my child told me a kids video was ok as they only say **bleep** one and f word three times.

I put parental lock on youtube tv channel you can block some other app but not youtube.  

The only answer I have found is by disconnecting the network cable to the modem.  (Until my child works out that too) which disables other services.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@Earacheonlegs wrote:

Kippies

My 7year old has difficulty grasping the world is not always a nice place and just believes I meanest mum.  

Despite mine and even schools effort (some schools having sent letters out) about Roblox my child doesn’t grasp reasons as their friends are still allowed to play it.    It’s simply easier for time being just to block them until they reach an age of understanding like my eldest.

My child is aware of rules ie crossing roads and quite capable of going to school alone yet still doesn’t mean I’m going to empower them yet.

Youtube is biggest worry whilst I at home because some of the things that have been watched that are not appropriate for children.  Children like to chitter chatter in classroom, you think a teacher not going to question hearing something inappropriate a child saying.

ofcom was a mere suggestion I have no idea as yet who I can take it up with. 

I get that. But sometimes you have to be "meanest mum" and not rely on a technological solution. Please dont think I'm preaching at you, or not aware of what I'm saying you should consider- Ive 5 kids. I understand totally the pain of denying your kids what their friends "have" access to (which in a lot of cases they dont) and suffering the "all my friends can go on Facebook/snapchat/fortnite/whatever" but short term pain is for long term gain. Simply blocking them doesnt work in my experience (YMMV) And TBF your initial question was not about Roblox (yes I understand you were using an example) but it confirms your issue- VM's parental controls will NOT block apps in most cases.Websites, no problem, apps nope.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thinking about this, I've not had the v6 for long, but doesn't it access YouTube via its Internet connection rather than cable? 

If so, you should be able to block it at router level. Either by blocking the relevant ports, or simply turning the router off. 

Tuning in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I understand what you are saying Kippies, I was very much like that with my other child until my next child came along who has let’s say a different view on world and needs restricted screen time as it impacts their behaviour that has knock on effect on everything.  I just want one less battle.  The (unseen) disconnecting of modem to V6 is answer at moment as nothing that mum can do about network service unavailable permanently until Virgin make blocking an option. 

It is possible to block Hanu? (Not sure spelling) app that’s why couldn’t understand no option for youtube.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi there have been so many threads on here regarding this issue the fact is there are so many devices smart TV or a Bluray etc etc that are capable of receiving it all these mediums, it's not very fair to single out Virgin.Regards Micky
0 Kudos