cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Output Settings

anap
Up to speed

Please could someone tell me if the Video Output Settings have been corrected in the V6. i.e. Do they now work like they are described in the info screen or are they like the TiVo but with extra 2160 settings?

659 REPLIES 659

As HD is broadcast at 1080i won't these settings cause the V6 to upscale to 2160p?

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hello 

Short answer is that I was about to say you cannot do that.  But on your question caused me to re-test and stop the press - And by golly they've fixed it!  (nearly - limitation with Netflix won't switch resolution.  But it does switch framerate making UK Tivo one of the few devices to do that - I'm much happier, no, delighted!).

This makes the Tivo one of the very few devices to switch framerates properly on Netflix, although I am sure someone will now start looking at colour space switching etc.

To achieve this you have to tick every option. 

Someone sticky this news please.  It is significant.

2160p

2160 passthrough

1080p

1080 passthrough

720p

576i

576p

Leave one out and it won't work.

Longer answer

Before

If you pick 2160p, 2160 passthrough and 1080p and 1080 passthrough the Tivo will upscale and de-interlace and hack framerates upto 50 Hz/1080p even if you've also picked 576i which is the SD resolution.  Also, before, if you picked 720p as well then that trumped everything and you always got that (even on 4k content)

Crikey - I thought they'd never fix this.

Now

Beautiful 4k, 1080p, 1080 passthrough, and wait for it SD 576i for appropriate content.

Any downside?

Your screen will pause re-sync frame rates and resolution while changing resolutions.  Also because the The GUI/menu can only do upto 1080 if you're watching 4k content and then select menu the screen will also do that re-sync while you goto the menu and then resync again when going back to whatever resolution you're watching.  If you only ever watch HD and SD the resync is only when switching channels.

Basically Virgin TiVo finally got someone who knew how the resolution and framerates switching was supposed to work.

If you 

----------------------------------------------------------

2020 Tivo-scaling bug (nearly resolved)

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

Any limitations?

Netflix - does framerate switching (which makes TiVo one of the few devices to do that).  But does not do resolution switching.  Everything is 4k, even older SD streams like Fawlty Towers etc.

BBC iplayer-  does resolution switching between 1080 and UHD inc HDR.  Does not do framerate switching (but I suspect that is baked in at source by the beeb as 50p.

Sky catchup - does resolution switching but seems Sky/Virgin movies streams are 25p rather than 23.4976 of the original movie.  Suspect baked in at source (like the "live" streams)

YouTube - Does partial framerate switching*.  Does not do resolution switching.

*(this is the one that'll annoy you because (1) TiVo only does 23.976, 24, or 25 or 30p.  insists that anything that is over 50p must be 50p so jerk-o-rama on that USA 59.76 and 60p material.  (2) the ads are not necessarily in same framerate as your content, so be prepared for 23.976 adverts.interrupting your watching and causing framerate re-sync.

BBC 576i

BBC SD 576iBBC SD 576i

BBC 1080i 

BBCHD 1080iBBCHD 1080i

BBC iPlayer UHD SDR

BBC iPlayer UHD 25pBBC iPlayer UHD 25p

BBC UHD 50p trial 

BBC iPlayer UHD 50pBBC iPlayer UHD 50p

NetFlix UHD HDR 23.976p

NetFlix UHD HDR 23.976pNetFlix UHD HDR 23.976p

NetFlix UHD HDR 24p

NetFlix UHD HDR 24pNetFlix UHD HDR 24p

NetFlix SD (but UHD) SDR 23.976pNetFlix SD (but UHD) SDR 23.976p

NetFlix SD (but UHD) SDR 24p

NetFlix SD (but UHD) SDR 25pNetFlix SD (but UHD) SDR 25p

NetFlix HD (but UHD) SDR 23.976 

NetFlix HD (but UHD) SDR 23.976pNetFlix HD (but UHD) SDR 23.976p

@deans6571 @shawty1984 @Gmjh 

I've seen you've been interested in this so pinging you here.

The difference I think now compared to when @Roger_Gooner posted  ( Link to Roger's view ex 4k ) is that wheras then if you picked  2160p / 2160 passthrough the box insisted on ignoring all the settings below that for broadcast TV.  But now as noted above, if you pick all the options it's only Netflix and YouTube which don't respect resolution changes (and that's prob their software).  There is also a slight pause between resolutions/rates as was already noted when switching between 576i and 1080i once they fixed that original bug but before the issues that 2160 brought.

My TiVo Software version# 20.9.2.RC3-VMB-1 1-C68

I've posted pictures proving framerate switching including Netflix, and partial resolution fixes except for Netflix.

From your pics I think you're saying Netflix 1080p is being shown as 2160p. That was the main fault for me and doesn't seem to be fixed. 

Nando010
On our wavelength

On my LG Oled c8 if I tick all output settings I get blank screen and just sound until I uncheck the two 576 outputs.

No - because the broadcast is 1080 and the V6 allows 1080 - it will pass 1080 to the tv and the tv will upscale.

To force the V6 to upscale you have to only select 2160 on the V6.

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

As HD is broadcast at 1080i won't these settings cause the V6 to upscale to 2160p?

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

Correct.  Regular programming terrestrial, sky, etc. used to do that (and I did retest mine when Roger said his 576 vs 1080 was working and even then adding 2160 caused everything to end up as 2160p but adding 720 caused 1080 to become that instead)

Now just Netflix and YouTube still insist on using 2160 always.  But there's less SD programming there now and at least Netflix does correct frame rates now, which the Shield won't do unless you use add ons.

I've not yet tried the higher frame rate stuff on Netflix ,but suspect TiVo will baulk at anything above 50p.  I also haven't yet tried Amazon Prime - the/framerate addons on the Shield either need manual use for Prime, or go nuts with the Prime variable frame rates. 

Nando.

Which software / firmware do you have on the TiVo? It shouldn't do that. I have E6 and HD and SD of course both fine. 

Chris