cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Output Settings

anap
Up to speed

Please could someone tell me if the Video Output Settings have been corrected in the V6. i.e. Do they now work like they are described in the info screen or are they like the TiVo but with extra 2160 settings?

659 REPLIES 659

The whole thread is about the V6 not passing through formats for the tv to upscale.

Finally the Output Settings are back! As mentioned though Netflix is all 2160. I tend to use the Netflix app on my TV so this is not a problem.

Yeah - in parts some screenshots of refresh rates somewhere in this thread.

@Rose_B did acknowledge the bugs but it hasn't gone anywhere from what I can see.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/Video-Output-Settings/m-p/3469600#M15580

This bug has been there since 2011 so all I can guess is that the people testing don't read the help screen, or if they are they don't understand what native and passthrough without conversion means.  It's strange actually. Last year they changed the help to match the current incorrect behaviour. Now if you go into the help it is back to how it was telling you to select everything achieve "native"  to pass through everything, and to deselect what you don't want to achieve a hybrid mode and have just that deselected setting converted.

It's also somewhat funny that

Autodetect selects just 2160p.  So most owners won't even be getting Netflix passthrough.

If instead we use the wizard when you Thumbs up etc,  even if you Thumbs up all the options (they all work for me in the wizard) then because TiVo adds 1080i it means no 4k.    I wonder how many people use the wizard and realise they are not getting 4k. Ever.  The picture still looks better than hd but it's 4k downscaled to HD and I suspect the improvement is due to bandwidth given to 4k. But still less good than it could be.

I cannot believe these forums is the only place this is being discussed. Th phone e help centre must a guide that tells use how to work around the bugs else their turnover of customers would be epic. Although judging by my neighbour keep setting his TV to super vivid mod with full smoothing into cartoon like pictures,  I can actually imagine there's half the country with substandard pictures and none the wiser.

I myself word have left were it not my alarm hard wired into my Virgin phone line  and to redo would need an engineer into the crawl space under the floor (unlikely to find an ADT engineer again open minded enough to do that or allow me to get in there to support the routing).

----------------------------------------------------------

2020 Tivo-scaling bug (nearly resolved)

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

I'm quite familiar with supplier lock-in, but yours in one of the more unusual examples I've known in decades.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Does anyone else have the 20.9.1 software and can confirm that the output for broadcast TV is now auto-switching correctly? 

SD channels at 576i, HD at 1080i and UHD at 2060.

Yes it is working (apart from Netflix as mentioned).

Well that's good news with regard to the broadcast TV. 

Slightly frustrating about Netflix but I guess I can watch through my TV's app while they iron this out.  Sure it won't take them too long! Smiley LOL Smiley LOLSmiley LOL

The big advantage of Netflix via the V6 is getting 5.1 from a sound system. You can route audio from a TV via HDMI ARC but it's not likely to be as good and sometimes you can only get stereo.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Actually most Optical Out ports from TVs are 5.1 (unless it's an old telly) but it's yet another cable... I have never found ARC to be in any way reliable though. 

@crypticc wrote:

Confirmed.  There's now no way to get UHD unless 2160p is the only option you pick.  Which then means you won't get 1080.

What the hell are you doing Virgin?

.....but if you pick 1080 in the Settings, doesn’t that mean your TV will then scale up to 2160, instead of the V6 (which would probably mean a better picture anyway)?