cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Output Settings

anap
Up to speed

Please could someone tell me if the Video Output Settings have been corrected in the V6. i.e. Do they now work like they are described in the info screen or are they like the TiVo but with extra 2160 settings?

659 REPLIES 659

Does anyone from virgin read these? I have a box I am a new customer. I called virgin they say I have correct settings 1080i . No way is my picture full HD on any hd channel. Nothing wrong with my tv either as the hd channels through free sat are crystal clear. I shall not renew contract unless someone helps me

@rickwookie wrote:
And what happens when you watch Standard Definition content?

As I have the output setting of 1080i, SD content (which is broadcast at 576i) is upscaled to 1080i and sent to my TV. The only way to pass through 576i is to set the V6 to only 576i, which would be fine if I only watched SD but is a ridiculous setting as I watch a mixture of SD and HD.

So, the best setting for most people who have a decent 1080p TV such as myself is to use 1080i and 1080p 24/25/30fps (pass-through). This results in:

• 576i upscaled to 1080i by V6
  • 1080i passed through by V6
  • 1080p 24/25/30fps (pass-through) passed through by V6

As the V6 does a reasonable job of upscaling 576i to 1080i, then my output setting works well for me.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@andrew2010 wrote:
Does anyone from virgin read these? I have a box I am a new customer. I called virgin they say I have correct settings 1080i . No way is my picture full HD on any hd channel. Nothing wrong with my tv either as the hd channels through free sat are crystal clear. I shall not renew contract unless someone helps me

Do you have a TiVo or V6?

What is the make and model of your TV?

--

Hi,

I think virgin media do not read these forums. You may get someone to answer but virgin will not do anything. They are just a deflection to make you think they care and will do something. They do not care. This is just a self help group.

Virgin media ignor their customers, you should try and contact customer support!

They are the worst communications company for any communications

Hi Roger.

Without a 4k TV the problem is downshifted to be a SD to HD issue. You won't be able to watch SD channels without the TiVo scaling them for you. Or you'll need to select 576 *only* meaning that's all you will get even for HD content.

There's also the refresh rate issue on YouTube which outputs 24 Hz and 60hz content at 50hz always (please recheck that you are actually getting 24p.... The inbuilt you tube menu just asked what the app is doing not what is actually being sent by the TiVo. See my screenshot of YouTube showing 60hz in the app but 50 Hz sent to the TV). This will always cause microstutter as the box tries but fails to make 24/60 fit into 50. iPlayer ends up at 50hz even for content that should be 24p or 23.976 causing stutter in iPlayer.

When you add a 4k TV the problem is worse. That issue between SD and HD becomes a conflict between SD, HD and UHD.

They also upscale chroma to from. 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 8 bit at the same time instead off 4:2:2 10 or 12 bit. Because of the bandwidth limitations with hdmi when you use 4:4:4 that probably means there will *never* be reliable YouTube HDR or BBC iPlayer HDR except for the little demos hard-coded for a specific display. Or if they do get it over the line people will either find posterisation and/or their cables or sockets aren't up to 50/4:4:4/HDR or HLG in 4k resolutions at 10 bit+ resolution needed for HDR.
----------------------------------------------------------

2020 Tivo-scaling bug (nearly resolved)

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

@crypticc wrote:
There's also the refresh rate issue on YouTube which outputs 24 Hz and 60hz content at 50hz always (please recheck that you are actually getting 24p.... The inbuilt you tube menu just asked what the app is doing not what is actually being sent by the TiVo. See my screenshot of YouTube showing 60hz in the app but 50 Hz sent to the TV). This will always cause microstutter as the box tries but fails to make 24/60 fit into 50.

I watch some YouTube music videos and get either of the following display resolutions on my 1080p TV:

• 1080i50
  • 1080p24

Admittedly it's a small sample but I've never seen anything else. Of course, my output settings are different to yours as all 1080p content is passed through to my TV.

--

Thanks for replying.

Well that's a problem then because lots of YouTube content is 60 fps.

For apps:

BBC iplayer SD and 4k is definitely broken as it defaults to 1080 for both IF 1080 is selected at all.  Meaning if you have a 4k tv you get to upscale twice and loss of noise . And Netflix in current behaviour also breaks HD and sends upscaled 4k rather than HD. And selecting only the resolution needed still means you don't get HDR.

Broadcast channels are even worse

Cheers

Just to add that apps are forgivable as often that's up to the app developer not the box.  For example on the Shield does similar for Netflix (although YouTube and iplayer both work properly on the shield).    Broadcast channels aren't so easily forgivable.

Dan200
On our wavelength

The fact that neither the native pass through mode feature or the 720p settings work correctly is very annoying.

My expectation that the Tivo would provide an optimal match to my TV has never been realised because of these well reported Tivo bugs.  I am unhappy with this on-going sub-optimal video performance.

I had expected better from Virgin Media.  Technically the Tivo is capable of working properly if only the software bugs were addressed but it remains unresolved.  In this thread (July) Rose_B of the forum team apologised and hoped that it would be resolved in the next firmware update.  So is this being worked on or has it been dropped?

I'm thinking that with these unresolved issues and failure to provide any UHD broadcast content the Virgin offering is looking increasingly unattractive.  Disappointed.

@Dan200 wrote:

I'm thinking that with these unresolved issues and failure to provide any UHD broadcast content the Virgin offering is looking increasingly unattractive.  Disappointed.

This post of mine explains why VM will not create content.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/4k-Ultra-HD-Content/m-p/3533197/highlight/true#M196...

--