cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Output Settings

anap
Up to speed

Please could someone tell me if the Video Output Settings have been corrected in the V6. i.e. Do they now work like they are described in the info screen or are they like the TiVo but with extra 2160 settings?

659 REPLIES 659

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

It depends on which does better scaling, the TV or V6. As set top boxes are never particularly good at scaling, try the TV first with the video setting in my last post. Then set the V6's video output to 1080p only so that it does all the scaling and compare the difference.

...but that's the whole point - the TV CANNOT do any of the scaling because a bug exists in the firmware (see my post above this one).

@deans6571 wrote:

@deans6571 wrote:

@tonyworks wrote:

Hi, its true! The box does all the scaling (badly) to your lowest setting if all the resolution boxes are ticked. If you only tick the 1080 then all pictures are scaled to this resolution by your box, not your tv. If you tick all the resolutions then the box will downscale all to the lower resolution.

...exactly - so basically, there's no way for the TV to do the scaling because of the existing bug!

'Native' mode (by selecting all formats supported by the TV) should mean that content will be passed straight through to the TV without the V6 scaling so the tv will do the scaling, but it currently does not do this.

@ 

@Roger_Gooner wrote:
It depends on which does better scaling, the TV or V6. As set top boxes are never particularly good at scaling, try the TV first with the video setting in my last post. Then set the V6's video output to 1080p only so that it does all the scaling and compare the difference.

....but thats the whole point - the TV CANNOT do any scaling because of the bug.

The bug is that there is no video output setting to pass both 576i and 1080i through to the TV. If you pass 1080i or 1080p to 2160p TV it has to scale it.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Roger_Gooner wrote:The bug is that there is no video output setting to pass both 576i and 1080i through to the TV. If you pass 1080i or 1080p to 2160p TV it has to scale it.

But if you select 575i and 1080i, the box then scales DOWN 2160p content to 1080! There is no "pass through" mode, the firmware is broken.

@rickwookie wrote:

Roger_Gooner wrote:The bug is that there is no video output setting to pass both 576i and 1080i through to the TV. If you pass 1080i or 1080p to 2160p TV it has to scale it.

But if you select 575i and 1080i, the box then scales DOWN 2160p content to 1080! There is no "pass through" mode, the firmware is broken.

Agreed.....

Basically, the box is scaling everything down, whereby when "Native" mode is selected (i.e. selecting all formats)it does not pass through straight to the TV. HD content  is scaled at 720p and not 1080 when  720p is ticked. This is the default resolution even if 1080 and 2160 are also ticked.....

There's more info here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Tivo-scaling-bug/td-p/3251103

I am referring to TV broadcasts which are either 576i or 1080i for SD and HD respectively. For these, the best solution is to set the video output to 1080i and have the TV do deinterlacing or scaling. If you have something such as Netflix at 1080p, then set 1080p 24/25/30fps (pass-through) as well.

If you have a 4K TV and watch 4K broadcasts from Netflix or YouTube, set the video output to 2160p 24/25/30fps (pass-through) to get the TV to do any necessary scaling.

--

The most annoying part of all this is that when Virgin first brought out the TiVo box it worked as originally intended. A firmware update removed the option (although the Info page remained!).

Hi anap -

Because of the number of points being made, please can you clarify which option has been removed?!   I have to admit I'm starting to get lost!

Cheers

The option to select all formats and have the picture left unscaled by the TiVo (Native mode).

If I select 2160p passthrough and watch 4k content on Netflix or YouTube via the V6 will the picture be output at 2160p untouched by the V6?

Correct.

--