cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Output Settings

anap
Up to speed

Please could someone tell me if the Video Output Settings have been corrected in the V6. i.e. Do they now work like they are described in the info screen or are they like the TiVo but with extra 2160 settings?

659 REPLIES 659

scruffer04
On our wavelength

This is the existing bug with the original TIVO:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Tivo-scaling-bug/m-p/3251103#M149584

I assume that the issue you are describing re V6 is the same?

That's exactly the issue scruffer04. I've been on about this for ages:

Message 10

I haven't got the V6 yet (4 Feb) but apparently it's the same but with extra 2160 options.

deans6571
Wise owl

I was just looking through the Video Options screen (somewhere within the Settings page) and came across the following (accessed when you press the 'Info' button on your remote, when looking the video output page) This page allows you to specifically choose if its the TV which does the scaling, or the V6):

VM Video Options 1.jpg

So by my understanding (correct me if I am wrong):

"Fixed Mode" is selected by selecting just the one best single format supported by the TV and this will allow all content to be passed to the TV, which is then scaled to that format by the V6. So if I choose 1080p (which is the single best format supported by my TV), the V6 will upscale all content to 1080p.

VM Video Options 2.jpg

"Native Mode" is selected by selecting ALL video formats supported by the TV, and the content will be passed straight through to the TV without the V6 scaling. I assume the TV will the do the scaling.

"Hybrid Mode"  converts only the formats the TV does not support. So selecting only the formats that my TV supports (but, isn't selecting all video formats supported by the TV, Native Mode??), and the V6 will make the best choice in converting the source video

VM Video Options 3.jpg

"1080p Content"  - this is ONLY supported in pass-through mode meaning if source content is 1080i (which is what normal HD content is I assume) or lower, it   cannot be upscaled to 1080p, and stays at 1080i on the screen.

Do I have this correct?!

scruffer04
On our wavelength

Now got V6 and the same bug exists in V6 😞

Some one look into this please.

I've got the following bug on my Samsung TV (1080p). 

In the Video Option Settings, when selecting '1080i' and the '720p' options, and then viewing an HD channel like BBC One HD, the TV picture quality is stuck on 1280x720/50p and does not change to the expected 1280x1080/50i for an HD channel? The Standard Def BBC One Channel rightly displays 1280x720/50p but then switching to the HD BBC One, just keeps the same settings (according the TV info). 

The HD channel is, however, noticeably clearer and sharper than its SD counterpart but I am confused as to why the TV still displays the info as 1280x720/50p?

I read an old post (link is in this thread somewhere) whereby some users were able to cycle through the video option settings by watching a recording and then pressing the up arrow on their remote however, that doesn't seem to work with me?! 

@deans6571 wrote:

In the Video Option Settings, when selecting '1080i' and the '720p' options, and then viewing an HD channel like BBC One HD, the TV picture quality is stuck on 1280x720/50p and does not change to the expected 1280x1080/50i for an HD channel? The Standard Def BBC One Channel rightly displays 1280x720/50p but then switching to the HD BBC One, just keeps the same settings (according to the TV info). 

...can I ask some other V6 users to test this for me - does your V6 show the same behaviour (for the record, my TV is a Samsung UE40H5000AK) ?

Can I ask why you have 720p ticked? Can I also ask why you say that BBC SD channels correctly display 1280 x 720?

@shawty1984 wrote:

Can I ask why you have 720p ticked? Can I also ask why you say that BBC SD channels correctly display 1280 x 720?

I ticked the 720p (as well as the 1080i) option because I wanted to test something which I  read on a different thread that stated that when having this ticked, SD channels should display at  1280x720/50p and that when switching to an HD channel, the display should switch to 1280x1080/50i.

I only assumed this was correct so I'm happy to be told otherwise.........

1280 x 720 is the resolution of 720p which is HD not SD.