Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

V6 "handshake" issue with Onkyo Amp??

Hi all... apologies if this isn't the right section but I am looking for some help/advice. Not quite sure what the problem is so thought I'd ask on here if anyone else has had a similar issue. 

My V6 is connected to my Onkyo TX-L50 vis HDMI and then the signal goes from the amp to the TV. It has been working absolutely perfectly until a few weeks ago. Recently, I have had continuous issues when I turn the V6 and amp on from standby. There seems to be a problem with the "handshake" between the amp and the V6. I will get a blue screen and the amp will display "HDMI" only, no signal indicators (i.e. Dolby, PCM etc). If I restart the V6 (via the remote), it usually works, however the last few days, this is now not even working and I have to do a full power cycle of the V6 to get it to connect properly through the amp. 

I have checked all the connections, ensure that I have rebooted the amp and V6 and made sure all firmware is up to date (on the amp at least, can't check on the V6 is there's a new version available).

None of the other inputs on my amp are having this issue, so, logically, I am thinking this is an issue with the V6 as it is resolved by power cycling. However, it's a pain to have to do this every time I want to turn it on.

So, does anyone have any advice/suggestions I could try? Or is this likely to be a fault with the V6?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 "handshake" issue with Onkyo Amp??

Is there a problem if the V6 is connected directly to the TV? Also, what's your software version? Compare it with mine.

System Info 12.jpg

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Update.... I have been closely monitoring for the last week or so, since the last power cycle I did of the V6 and, fingers crossed, it seems to be behaving itself.... perhaps the handshake just needed to "reset" itself or something.... I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Exact same issue, I have a LG C8 oled and the V6 is connected to the TV through my Onkyo 686 amp. Sometime I get flickering then the screen goes off and sometimes unplugging it or turning the amp off for a while solves the issue but 2 nights ago it totally gave up no picture no nothing. I managed to get into the settings and change it from 4k to 1080p pass through and it then worked. There is obviously a issue with the V6 as all my kit is new tech my amp is HDCP 2.2 on every input and so is my tv, what I can't understand is why it works sometimes for weeks without issue then all of a sudden it does this. I've replaced all the cables so it’s the V6 my TV is 6 moths old and my amps around a year so it’s definitely not my kit and every other device I have plugged in doesn’t give me issue Xbox one X and PS4Pro and Nvidia shield TV all of which are 4K hdcp 2.2.

The issue is the V6 box and the hdcp2.2 and I don’t see how virgin can fix this issue as it’s obviously a hardware issue, the V6 should be supporting HDR and as far as I know it doesn’t I look forward to hearing what VM have to say on this known issue but they won’t fob me off as I know my stuff.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The V6 supports HDR10 and HLG but not Dolby Vision or HDR10+.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Fair enough but there’s obviously a issue as there’s loads of people with the same issue as me. I’m having to run my 4K V6 at 1080p for it to work if I don’t get a fix I shall have it removed and move to sky or freeview as I’m paying for something I’m not receiving. 

0 Kudos