cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 or 360 ?

ts1699
Joining in

Hi I have the chance to upgrade my V6 to 360 via a disc that VM are sending me before I do this can anyone confirm that if my internet goes down then I don't have access to my already recorded programmes on the upgraded v6 or have I misunderstood this.thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The TV360 platform is fundamentally different to TiVo-powered V6 in many ways, but the notable one here is that V6 all operate independent storage with the ability to multi-room stream between them all.

TV360 operates around one central pool of recordings which is server-managed. The result of this is that a loss of internet connectivity has different impacts. On a V6, it just results in the loss of online-based services such as OnDemand, streaming & EPG updates. A TV360 loses connection to the central server and thus management of recordings.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Tavis75
Super solver

Yes that is correct, if your internet goes down you cannot watch recorded programs on the 360. It is one of the many ways it is a step down from the V6.

Some of the missing features are as follows; Wishlists (where you can set the box to record programs on certain subjects or featuring certain people), undelete, series link+, series link manager, suggestions, setting of series links for programs not in the current TV guide, ethernet control, keyboard support via USB, switching between tuners with constant buffering, skip-back on fast-forward, quickplay, default recording options, cancelling individual recordings from a series link, multi-channel series links, radio channels allowing recording of radio, separation of recordings between boxes, watching recordings when internet is not available and probably a few others I've forgotten.

Personally, I have no intention of switching until it becomes compulsory, though will likely have left VM before that happens anyway.

Edit - Also, I assume it is a remote that VM are sending you, as that is the normal way of upgrading, the box itself is updated over the internet. Though if VM have sent the remote I believe the box will forcibly update itself after about 5 days (deleting your recordings and series links) so you may be stuck with the 360 now, unless you are able to get VM to cancel the upgrade.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The TV360 platform is fundamentally different to TiVo-powered V6 in many ways, but the notable one here is that V6 all operate independent storage with the ability to multi-room stream between them all.

TV360 operates around one central pool of recordings which is server-managed. The result of this is that a loss of internet connectivity has different impacts. On a V6, it just results in the loss of online-based services such as OnDemand, streaming & EPG updates. A TV360 loses connection to the central server and thus management of recordings.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi ts1699 

VM don't send out an upgrade disc, there is no facility to upgrade via disc.  VM perform an over the air update which reformats the V6 hard drive and installs the horizon (TV360) operating system.  This wipes all recordings and series links from the device. You will also be sent a 360 remote control which is used during and after the installation process.

/resources/pdf/VTV360_A5_insert_instructions_leaflet_pre_packaging.pdf 

Also see the how to upgrade video on youtube < here > 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

VM is a cable operator, so everything comes down the cable. The migration to a 360 takes only a short while to install the replacement software.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey ts1699, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear this.

Has the advice here helped at all, but you are correct any recordings would be deleted.

You can read up more here about our 360 boxes 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?