Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 jumps back to start of programme when recording

@george57l 

I made no assumption. I quoted information from another Liberty Global company in Europe.

In my opinion, five years is far too much. One year is sufficient.

People have got into thinking they can archive copyright material which is wrong.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 12 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Let me correct that for you.

People have been encouraged to archive copyright material by the distributors and owners who licensed it and permitted it to be stored on very large capacity hard disks in the home.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 13 of 16
Flag for a moderator

There is no such encouragement these days - if there ever was such encouragement anyway. All modern STBs lack a SCART socket which makes it easy to copy programmes to a DVD recorder, it's what the content owners have wanted for a long time and they have finally got their way. Recording of streams is also not possible on VM's boxes.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 14 of 16
Flag for a moderator

"There is no such encouragement these days"

There still is, in so far as the hard disks I referred to included the ones in my Tivos (albeit that my access to them is somewhat limited, as you say - for example by not being able to output via SCART).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 15 of 16
Flag for a moderator

You are mistaken as the TV boxes' hard drives are not for archiving, and you must expect that some recordings will become inaccessible after a while. The only easy way to archive is by copying via SCART, an option which is available up to the TiVo. All boxes after the TiVo will not have a SCART socket.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 16 of 16
Flag for a moderator

'Archiving' as in moving to other media for very long term storage? Agreed.

'Archiving' as in storing for a long period to access when I wish (or get round to it)? Well this is what I was referring to (I accept you were probably referring to the previous definition, above) and is exactly what my Tivo's hard drive gives me.

I accept that very rarely a recording may 'expire' from the Tivo hard drive - such as, for example, due to circumstances such as those described earlier - but for 99.9% of recordings this is good enough for me and I view it as more reliable than anything stored in anyone's 'cloud'. If it is in the 'cloud' it is just 'streaming' not' 'recording'.  (Let's try to avoid a further semantic discussion about the definition of 'recording' in this context. I think you know what I mean here.)

0 Kudos