Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

V6 & 5GHz

Our V6 box has been happily connected to the 5GHz band of our router since we got it in February until the other night when for whatever reason it fell off the network. Now it will only connect at 2.4GHz. If I try and connet at 5 and enter the password it just sits for a few minutes and then says there is a problem try again.

No matter what I do, including reboots of everything, it will only connect at 2.4.  They have different network names.I have even tried turning off the 2.4Ghz at the router but then the V6 just wouldnt connect to anything until I turned it back on again and then it automatically connected to the 2.4Ghz. How do I get it to forget the 2.4Ghz network?

Any other ideas?

Cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 & 5GHz

Can you successfully connect at 5GHz with another device such as a mobile phone or laptop?

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Yeah. No other devices have issues connecting to 5Ghz just the V6. I did have an issue when we first got it in that it took several attempts bug it eventually connected and was fine til the other night

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I suspect a faulty V6, so call VM and get a replacement.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

It could be a weaker signal caused by a neighbour using the same channel. Maybe change the 5GHz channel on the router and try again.

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS & UHD/HDR)
VIVID 500 (500/35mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD + 2 minis)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Detached house and far enough apart so no neighbouring wifi issues

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Octimon1,

Thanks for posting on the community.

I have checked your hub and V6 and everything looks okay at the moment.

Are you able to disconnect from the router on your V6 and perform a pinhole reset on your superhub?

You can find out how to do this on our help page here.

Failing that I'd recommend resetting your V6 box which should put any settings that may of been changed back to the default but it would also remove any recordings.

You can also find out how to do this on our page here.

Please let me know how you get on.

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I do not want to reset the box since, as you say, I will lose all my recordings. Box, hub & router have all been restarted but i still cant get it connected to 5ghz

Odd thing is that the V6 finds the 2.4Ghz on channel 11 which is correct. However no matter what channel I set the 5Ghz to on the router the V6 claims it is on channel 42. There is no channel 42 in the 5Ghz band!

Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Octimon1,

Thank you for taking the time to get back to us on this.

Can any other devices see the 5Ghz network?

I see Rose advised of a pin hole reset of the Hub to put this back to factory settings and this means you will have to split the networks so you can see both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks. This will also require your devices to be reconnected to the networks again. Have you managed to try this yet to see if this helps? 

Let us know how you get on with this.

Take care,

Louise

Forum Team

New around here? Find out more about the Community by checking our "Getting started guide"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I am using the hub in modem mode. There is nothing wrong with my router and everything else that can connect at 5g connects and works just fine. It is just the V6 box that now wont, having been connected at 5g fine for 3+ months. it can see the 5g network but when i enter the password it just wont connect. 

0 Kudos