cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 Sound drops randomly

mattt586
Tuning in

Hi,

I've had my v6 for 12 months now and im still suffering with this stupid sound dropping issue and nobody sorts it. I've been offered a new box but tht would be my THIRD one. ts not a faulty v6 its a fault with ALL v6's looking at all the posts on this issue.

I have paid over £1200 for the last 12 months TV and had to put up with this issue. How is that acceptable? I'm sure SKY don't have this issue. As EVERY other device I plug into my TV works a treat.

I can now leave to go to Sky now if I want. It may cost me more but it might be worth it if you are never going to fix this issue!. Also they have plenty of HD films available and virgins line up is a joke. I find myself streaming online more as they are better quality!!!.

Are you going to address this issue or not???

TRIED ALL THE USUAL, NEW CABLES ETC. ITS 100% THE BOX AND TRIED 2 BOXES!!

Thanks

Matt

92 REPLIES 92

I'll hit the roof Lol... i'll enjoy it while it lasts then Thanks 

Craig359
Joining in

Hi

I have been trying to find the answer to this annoying problem for ages, no point calling virgin even with spending most of year stuck at home I don't think I have time to waste either on hold or answering inane questions anyway cobbling together a couple of suggestions I saw on here I happened upon a solution in my case anyway, in the settings on v6 box I changed sound option to dolby to pcm and now it doesn't drop out anymore

I'm having this issue, too: momentary, random sound dropouts.

• I'm running audio from the V6 via optical into a Yamaha AV amp. No problems with any other sources.
  • For me, the problem only occurs when watching live channels; recorded programmes, and content from streaming services works fine.
  • Switching from DD to PCM is clearly not a real solution, unless one isn't interested in 5.1 audio.

The fact that the problem doesn't occur with recorded programmes gave me an idea: while watching live TV, I press pause for 5 seconds, then restart playback. Since the V6 is now effectively playing a recorded programme, this seems to fix the problem, albeit with limited testing so far. So, this may be a workaround that helps others, too.

Would be better if Virgin fixed the actual issue, though ...

I do not believe that this will ever be fixed in the V6 box. The problem has been there since the V6 box was released and has not been fixed until now which makes me believe it is a fundamental hardware issue that Virgin cannot fix in the firmware or software. Just hope the next box (V7??) will not have the problem. Interesting suggestion from @psychlist, I will give that a try. 

Gm4n
Tuning in

Wow. This has been an issue for a long time!!

I recently joined Virgin and I’ve got this V6 box. After just a week or so I too have been experiencing these sound drop-outs!

Why arent they fixing this issue with it going on for so long?! 

Firstkingofstuf
Settling in

So, I've had this issue for ages, described perfectly by most of the others posting on this thread...pretty frequent gaps in sound, usually without any interruption to picture, across a range of channels. Has anyone succeeded in getting it fixed?

I am not expecting a fix until the V6 box is replaced by the next generation box. If Virgin have been unable to fix the known issue during the whole life of the V6, they are not likely to now. Convinced this is a fundamental hardware problem.

We have two v6 boxes at our home. Both of them exhibit these random sound drops on occasion. Rebooting the box usually solves the problem for a few days, but it always returns eventually.

Thanks for your post @philiplawry,

Can you please advise me if you use any the speakers on the TV or if you have any third party pieces of equipment that allow for better sound quality?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi David,

For me this has always been through an AV amp, but that is always my sound source. Over the several years of having this problem I have replaced the TV three times and the AV amp twice, with the same results. All other 4K sources through the same amp do not have this problem, only the V6 box. Other sources include a Shield TV box and a UHD Bluray player. The TV also is a 4K source on the ARC HDMI. All HDMI cables have also been replaced with latest specs.

Cables that work perfectly for other 4K sources have been switched onto the V6 box unsuccessfully and so have the inputs on the AV amp. Bottom line every 4K source works as it should sound wise except the V6 box.

Regards,

Tony