cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 Sound drops randomly

mattt586
Tuning in

Hi,

I've had my v6 for 12 months now and im still suffering with this stupid sound dropping issue and nobody sorts it. I've been offered a new box but tht would be my THIRD one. ts not a faulty v6 its a fault with ALL v6's looking at all the posts on this issue.

I have paid over £1200 for the last 12 months TV and had to put up with this issue. How is that acceptable? I'm sure SKY don't have this issue. As EVERY other device I plug into my TV works a treat.

I can now leave to go to Sky now if I want. It may cost me more but it might be worth it if you are never going to fix this issue!. Also they have plenty of HD films available and virgins line up is a joke. I find myself streaming online more as they are better quality!!!.

Are you going to address this issue or not???

TRIED ALL THE USUAL, NEW CABLES ETC. ITS 100% THE BOX AND TRIED 2 BOXES!!

Thanks

Matt

92 REPLIES 92

Cheap doesnt always mean rubbish - Asda Hdmi cables are manufactured by the same guys who make the leads for Panasonic.
You seem to think they are cheap but they arent they were actually sold at a premium until Asda got caught out by Watchdog and they reduced their range and began selling those crazy £34.99 leads for a tenner!

You seem to be saying all HDMI leads are the same - they are not - if you know anything about bandwidth you would know this is the case - I suggest you google RJ45 Cat 4,5,6.

I am an electronics and computer engineer for the last 40 years and I can tell you cables do make a difference - the only place where they dont is in the Toslink and Spdif field and even then the end connectors make a difference even to this type of transmission medium and how well polished they are.

Hdmi is the same principle the more data you pump through the higher the interference just as with Cat4 and Cat6e in the number of wires and twists - how do you think they manage this in Hdmi cables? As I said its all about bandwidth and not the number of pins and bandwidth is about qualkity - why do you think Audiophiles insist on OFC cable - personally I dont hear a difference.

Length of the cable also makes a difference - how do i know what length your is you probably have a very short one lol
Or are you using 4k and max bandwidth - it is also dependant on the endpoints and what each can handle!
There isnt one right andd wrong answer as everyone has a different setup!
The common factor is the Tivo 6 and its insistence in pumping out HDCP2.2 in the bitstream!

Why does the Virgin helpdesk 3rd line support immediately recommend new HDMI leads when i mentioned the HDCP issue?
They already knew about it although if you google it you will see it can be a fix along with changing the hdmi port etc
5.1 is a simple 6 channel sound field that requires very little extra overhead in the digital signal (now if you had brought up 4k pel data then you might have had a point) it has nothing to do with HDCP (You are a bit behind in the times dude its 7.1 that is the latest audioi anyway) so I have no idea what point you are trying to make and I dont have a firebox so have no idea on its specs or how you wire your system up with Arc etc we are talking about the V6 so why bring up a firebox?

I use amazon basics, top quality they are!

Basically I have everything go direct to the tv via HDMI. Then audio goes out from optical on tv to receiver.

I.mentioned fire box as that is working fine and loads of other devices too. The fire box uses what I thought was a cheap asda one. I've tried this same HDMI in the v6 and there is still a problem with the v6. That's why I mentioned the fire box. I could mention the Xbox one, ps4 and lg blue ray all wired the same way with no issues at all.

Yes thats the way I have always had it but mainly because my Yammy RXV365 wont support hdmi with audio lol
It will alleviate many problems with old audio and tv gear by just using the optical output!

I have all my stuff going via hdmi to tv then the tv optical goes to the yammy-ha!
Thankfully the yammy has two spdif and one rca optical so i have my pc wired to the other optical and the dvd player to the rca!
I dont really need a v6 if i was honest but the tivo recording is useful as my pc has satellite card and have Kodi and a very obscure way of getting all sky channels for free but no real decent level of tivo recording funcitonality - even my Skybox F3 has a woeful; usb recording and interface as does the tv itself!
Virgins Tivo functionality is the only thing that keeps me with Virgin for tv to be honest as i also have two Talktalk DN372T boxes hooked up as well - my flat looks like Darth Vaders control room lol

Apparently the audio over hdmi is superior to spdif in some way - more protocols like THX enhanced i think although I may be wrong?
Would love to upgrade everything to the latest but have to wait until i win the lottery!

Mrwozat
On our wavelength

I don't think this is an HDMI issue because I connect my v6 box directly to my Panasonic surround amp via an optical cable and I still get the sound drop outs.

I have a V6 box that got the past week has audio drop outs. On average every 2-3 mins. Very frustrating and unable to watch a programme.

HELP.

V6 box connected to Samsung TV by HDMI - no additional add on sound amplifiers 

Rose_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Sparkyebb,

Thanks for posting and I'm sorry to hear about what's happened.

First I would recommend checking the HDMI connection and if possible trying another cable.

I'd also recommend rebooting your V6 by the mains and if it's still the same we may need to arrange for a technician so please let me know.

Speak soon

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Mine still the same over a year later!!! When are you going to fix it!!!

I gave up and gone back to sky, perfect

My V6 box has the annoying short sound dropouts too.

Rebooting it solves the issue for a few days.

Changing HDMI cable makes no difference.

Have had this problem since I first received it over a year ago. Sound dropouts are on live and recorded TV.