0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 12 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Horizon Update

@appleadaywrote:

Wondering if this will enable HDR

HDR will be enabled in the next TiVo software release on V6, currently being piloted by some customers.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

vircom
Super solver
Message 13 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Asking for bug free software from Virgin is obviously too much. Just so long as it does not do to the V6 what the "upgrade" did to the Tivo a couple of years ago. I don't need or use half the current features and would rather go back to the V+ interface than that.
appleaday
Fibre optic
Message 14 of 37
Flag for a moderator

@Ernie_Cwrote:

@appleadaywrote:

HDR will be enabled in the next TiVo software release on V6, currently being piloted by some customers.

Thanks Ernie,

any idea when this will be deployed the the general public?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 15 of 37
Flag for a moderator

@appleadaywrote:

@Ernie_Cwrote:

@appleadaywrote:

Thanks Ernie,

any idea when this will be deployed the the general public?

I’m not able to say but suspect soon.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

mrvivid300
Tuning in
Message 16 of 37
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It probably will, but I bet it'll be a stripped down-bare bones configuration, what they are probably doing now is branding it all with their purple, low resolution backgrounds and logos. 

There's no beta testing needed, as the V6 is built around the horizon OS, As of which, they have already trailed in Ireland and failed. Either way, I called today again, and now they are telling me there is no beta.

I'm leaving VM now, I'm not holding my breath anymore. And certainly not paying for the "best" service when it is not.

I spoke to an advisor today, who told me the 13 missed calls from VMs 0800 was spoofed, problem is, I run Cisco phones in my house, and when I called it back it said it was VM. If this were the case, It wouldn't have went through. I asked him if he knew what either a PBX system, IPv4, IPv6 and TR-069 was, and he didn't have a clue. That's who your dealing with people, an ISP that doesn't have a clue how they deliver broadband and TV to your house.

No Static IP, The upload is terrible, TiVo is outdated, even then, If they did update, there's still practicly no UHD content (yes I know there is on netflix) but that's not the point, I can get that on my smart tv. You will be left with something that looks good, but does nothing.... Much like MacOS

Either way, when BT roll out G.Fast that can reach 350mbps, Virgin, will be out the game. Maybe, its how they treat their customers, or niglect their platforms.

To the people who are getting excited about HDR, Remember, that'll only be on Netflix because VM themselves have absolutely 0 UHD content, never mind HDR UHD content, unlike Sky Q who has loads (And is cheaper). And even then, will only be 8-bit because of the V6's hardware limmitations. The V6 box was designed around a "That'll do" attitude.

They think they can fix it with Cisco's DOCSIS 3.1 but BT, Sky, and all the other ISP's are teaming up against VM. 

VM/Liberty global don't know what they are doing, I could design a better UI myself.... Maybe they should just let Sky make the new UI for the V6, because at least they have more interest in their own products. 

vircom
Super solver
Message 17 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Sounds as if you have found a provider that better matches your needs, so it looks like an obvious choice. We all have different priorities, just as well providers have different offerings. I check at least once a year when price increases or contract ends.
0 Kudos
mrvivid300
Tuning in
Message 18 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Yes, My new provider will be me. Hosting an In-house, data centre running 7 Dell Poweredge R610's that I can better run myself using FreeBSD/Freenas either running Plex or Emby. Over an internal CAT 6E 10Gb\s connection.

No multiroom subscriptions, no compression, unlimited PCI tuners, all on a 76mb connection... All for £28 a month.

STILL cheaper than VM ...

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Superstar
Message 19 of 37
Flag for a moderator

As an aside, as someone who has both Netflix and Amazon Prime, I have to say that their menu systems annoy me greatly. Personally I do not think that loads of pictures to click on is an improvement.

Sometimes, text, meaningful text, is the simplest answer.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 20 of 37
Flag for a moderator

@mrvivid300wrote:Either way, when BT roll out G.Fast that can reach 350mbps, Virgin, will be out the game. Maybe, its how they treat their customers, or niglect their platforms.

To get even 300mbps using G.fast, you need to be 150 metres from the cabinet - but only 20% of the population is so lucky. It's the high frequencies which cause strong attenuation. My house is probably well over 400 metres from the nearest BT cabinet which, if it were to have a G.fast pod attached to it, probably won't even get me the same speed as I'd get from VDSL2.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos